
Borkena
Toronto – Tadesse Worede, President of Tigray Region Interim Administration, last week removed “South Zone” administrators and replaced them with new appointees.
The decision met with resistance. From local reports, what Tadesse appointed as new leaders are Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) leaning officials not acceptable to people in the zone.
As reported on Wednesday, tens of thousands of residents of the Maichew and Mehoni took to the street opposing the move.
Elders from the zone on their part expressed their opposition to the removal of leaders like Haftu Kiros. According to a DW report, Taddesse Worede has a closed door meeting, in Mekelle, with the elders. What is known is that the elders told him that the “People of Raya need peace.
The TPLF faction under Debretsion Gebremicael, which is believed to have control over the larger section of armed forces the region calls “Tigray Defense Force,” was reportedly taking over areas in the zone by forces. Residents say it is an “invasion.”
Hafrtu reportedly took up arms in resistance to what is believed to be TPLF imposed decision on the part of Tadesse Worede.
According to local sources Haftu’s sibling. Whether the killing was politically motivated and a retaliation over Haftu’s military move was unspecified.
Tadesse Worede travelled to Maichew to ease the tension but he was rather greeted with protest. Apart from the people, Salsay Woyane, an opposition party, criticized him.
In a statement released this week, Salsay Woyane stated that the Interim President is proved incapable of resolving the problems in the region, and needs to resign.
Tadesse was appointed by the Federal government in April this year until an election is organized in the region – in about one year.
Reports from some local sources indicate that Tadesse Worede is aligning more with the TPLF and working against the Federal government. Earlier this week, he criticized pointed fingers at the Federal government over dysfunction of the region’s government structure.
The Federal government has not remarked about the recent developments. When Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed appeared at the parliament about two weeks ago, he called on the diplomatic community and religious leaders to approach TPLF to avert another round of war in the region which he said will be more devastating than the one that was fought between 2020 and 2022. He also called on religious leaders to advise the TPLF not to start war. He said “it will be difficult to stop once it starts. However, there are politicians, like Gebru Asrat, who think that sending the approach with elders is “useless.”
Support Borkena : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/
Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena
Like borkena on Facebook
Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory Business Listing Toronto
Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter) @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. Subscribe to YouTube channel To share information or for submission, send e-mail to info@borkena.com