Ethiopian government says more fano forces continue to “surrender”

Borkena
Toronto – The Fano forces in the Amhara region of Ethiopia on Wednesday said they have killed 45 government soldiers. 22 other government forces are said to have sustained serious and light injuries.
Amhara Fano National Force (AFNF) West Amhara zone deputy spokesperson, Estibel Alemu, told Ethiopian Media Services (EMS) “we inflicted heavy loss on enemy forces as it was moving from Amber to Jama districts [ in Gojjam].”
He also reported that his forces seized 37 AK 47 rifles. The operation appears to be not an ambush one.
According to Fano forces, the battle was fought for three hours between 9:00 a.m. and 12 :00 P.M.
AFNF also made a claim that residents from the area participated in the battle.
The spokesperson did not say if there was a casualty on the part of Fano or residents who reportedly took part in the battle.
As well, there was another battle in the Motta area of Gojjam and this one was an ambush.
Government forces, which fano called “enemy”, were on a move from Sede to Kesate Mariam Motta area in East Gojjam. The 54th division of Fano forces launched the ambush operation, Estibel told EMS.
The soldiers were reportedly on a mission to deliver logistic supplies to the army unit in Kesate Birhan. The spokesperson said that the government forces were “forced to retreat” without specifying if there were casualties on both sides.
The Ethiopian Defense Force did not deny or confirm the claim on the part of the rebels.
On the other hand, it has been making what appears to be a counter-claim that “more fano forces are surrendering to the government.”
Early this month, Masresha Setie, one of the fano leaders under the Amhara Fano Popular Organization (AFPO) umbrella, surrendered to government forces.
It was projected as a development that transpired following a secret negotiation and the official agreement was signed between the Fano leader and Amahra regional government – in the presence of representatives from the African Union and IGAD.
The international organizations were grilled in social media over involving themselves in what many activists call a “propaganda stunt.”
Other fano leaders from AFPO dismissed it at the time that Masresha was already purged from the organization following “organizational evaluation” that hinted he was involved in clandestine contact with the government. Eskinder Nega, one of the prominent AFPO leaders, dismissed the “negotiation” as “false.”
The conflict in the Amhara region of Ethiopia has been underway for two and half years. Thousands of non-combatant civilians are reportedly killed by drone strikes and extrajudicial executions, according to reports from Human rights organizations.
Last month, BBC reported that well over 2000 woman were raped in the region in connection with the conflict. The figure was based on an investigative report focusing only on 45 health centers in the region.
__
Support Borkena : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/
Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena
Like borkena on Facebook
Borkena Ethiopian News Youtube Channel
To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com
Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory
Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter) @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.
Here we go again with another routine of body count. Who is next, you may ask? It will be followed by another body count but this time it will the government’s turn. So the competition will go until your and my sum total will exceed the total population of that country. This is not the first time it happened. Ziad Barre had wiped out the entire population of Ethiopia and half the population of Cuba not once but twice in 1977 and 1978. Those people have somehow managed to regenerate themselves until now.