
Borkena
Toronto – As questions on Ethiopia’s next month election credibility continues with activists calling for the opposition parties to withdraw from it, the Ethiopian government arranged a briefing session for the targeting diplomats and representatives of multilateral organizations based in Addis Ababa.
It appears the Ministry of Foreign Affairs was in charge of putting the event together. Berhanu Tsegaye, State Minister, made an opening speech.
He made a claim that the electoral process “has laid a strong foundation for the development of Ethiopia’s democratic system.”
On the other hand several opposition are vowing to withdraw from the 7th general election ,which is scheduled for June 1, over extensive irregularities observed in the processes so far. The ruling party allegedly harassed opposition candidates and members particularly in South and South Western Ethiopia.
Earlier this week, Coalition for Ethiopian Unity (CEU) – a coalition of four major opposition parties in the country – held a press conference in Addis Ababa claiming that the process has not been fair or free. It said it will withdraw from it if the government is not addressing their concerns including the release of jailed opposition party leaders.
The ruling party is running without a contender in at least 68 electoral districts across three regions which already determined the outcome of the election.
The conflict in the Amhara and Oromia regions of Ethiopia, among others, have been presented as evidence by the opposition to demonstrate that there is no “enabling condition for election.” The Board, which many considered to be partisan to the ruling party, did not accept it.
However, the image that the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) painted for the diplomatic community in Addis Ababa was starkly different.
It was Melatwork Hailu, the Chairperson of the board, who briefed the diplomats regarding the process so far and administrative arrangements including security one. She highlighted, “the use of technology, as well as efforts undertaken in collaboration with relevant institutions to ensure a transparent, free, and credible electoral process,” as cited by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ethiopia.
The registration process was extended for two weeks. The Board said it incurred 1.5 billion birr cost. The Board also requested for an additional 10 billion birr for the rest of the process.
Over 50 million eligible voters are registered, according to the Board. And 52,029 polling stations are arranged in the country, including special polling stations for displaced people, defense force members and students. Notably, there is no election in parts of the country like the Tigray region.
According to a news update from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the diplomatic community remarked that “they had gained an understanding of the efforts being undertaken to ensure the peaceful and inclusive conduct of the upcoming election.”
__
Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena
Like borkena on Facebook
Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory
Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter) @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. Subscribe to YouTube channel To share information or for submission, send e-mail to info@borkena.com
To Support Borkena : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/ – one time support or small monthly options available. Inquire information about it : info@borkena.com
If it is our sister H.E. Melatwork bint Hailu who will do the briefing, then I will believe every word she says. I believe our women. If it is the men who will do the talking, then bets are off with me. I won’t believe a word if any man stands there all day and blabber his conniving mouth. I trust our sister. End of story and there is nothing you can do about it.
Go get’em Taytu incarnate!!!
I just found out on the African Union latest news release site that it is sending an election observers delegation led by the former president of Kenya Uhuru Kenyatta to oversee the coming election in Ethiopia. That is encouraging news for at least that someone is watching. I will wait until the report comes out from this team before making any comment about the outcome Here is the link:
peaceau.org/en/article/arrival-statement-african-union-election-observation-mission-to-the-1-june-2026-elections-in-the-federal-democratic-republic-of-ethiopia-26-may-2026
Peace y’all!!!
ወ/ሮ ሜላት ወርቅ፣ ለምርጫ የተመዘገበው ከ 50,000,000 ሕዝብ በላይ ነው ብለው ለዲፕሎማቶቹ ነግረዋል ይባላል። እውነት ቢሆን ከኢትዮጵያ ሕዝብ 75 በመቶው ባለ ምርጫ ካርድ ሆኖ ተዘጋጅቷል ማለት ነው። ግን እውነት አይመስልም ። እስቲ እናስላው። የኢትዮጵያ ሕዝብ 120,000,000 ነው እንበል እንደሚወራው። ከዚያ ውስጥ ከ 18 ዓመት በታች የሆነውን ወጣቱን፣ በሽተኞችን፣ መምረጠ ያልፈለጉትን፣ ባገር የሌሉትንና አቅም የሌላቸውን አዛውንት አውጥተን፣ 75 በመቶው መራጭ ነው እንበልና መምረጥ የሚችለው ሕዝባችን ብዛት 70,000,000 ይሆናል። ከዚህም ውስጥ 75 በመቶው መምረጥ በማይቻልበት የአማራ፣ የትግሬ፣ የቤኒሻንጉልና የኦሮሞ ሕዝብ ነው ብንል፣ ይኸ መምረጥ የማይችል ሕዝብ 47,000,000 ይሆናል። መምረጥ የማይችለው ሕዝብ ከጠቅላላው መምረጥ ከሚችለው ሕዝባችን ሲቀነስ 70,000,000 – 47,000,000 = 23,000,000 መምረጥ የሚችል ሕዝባችን ነው ማለት ነው። በሌሎች ክልሎች ያለው ጠቅላላ መራጭ ሕዝብ፣ ንቅል ብሎ አንድም ሳይቀር ለምርጫ ከተመዘገበ፣ ብዛቱ ቢበዛ 23,000,000 ነው። ታዲያ ከ 50,000,000 ህዝብ በላይ ለምርጫ የተመዘገበው ከየት መጥቶ ነው ? የኢትዮጵያ ምርጫ ቦርድ አመራር መደመር መቀነስም ረስተዋል ማለት ነው ? እመቤት፣ እውነትም ብልፅግናን ከምርጫ ቀን በፊት ድምፅ ፈጥረን አስመርጠናል እያሉን ነው ? ውሸት ለዕድሜዎ አይመጥንም ! “ምርጫው” ያላችሁት ይሰረዝ !