HomeNewsEthiopia : Reported Conflict in South, North Wollo 

Ethiopia : Reported Conflict in South, North Wollo 

Ethiopia _ Conflict _ Ethiopian News
DW Amharic

Borkena

Toronto – Conflict is worsening in the north and south Wollo areas of the Amhara region of Ethiopia, according DW Amharic report published on Sunday. 

This part of the Amhara region has seen the most intense battle between Fano forces and the Ethiopian Defense Force over the past few days. 

DW Amharic spoke to residents from the region. Residents from the Mekane Selam area of South Wollo who spoke to the source, on condition of anonymity, said tension is easing in the town but armed conflict continued in the surrounding rural areas. 

“Fano forces controlled the town for one day after the Defense Force withdrew but they withdrew again,”  a resident is cited as saying. 

The report also indicates the senior government officials also fled the town on Saturday starting mid day. Fano forces were reportedly in close range to the town. They did have information about government troops’ withdrawal and  retreat of government officials. 

The Defense Force is back in Mekane Selam starting Sunday morning, it was said. Fano forces reportedly withdrew from Mekane Selam overnight. 

The operation was not without causality. Residents have told DW Amharic that the head of the Militia office and his deputy were killed. 

The conflict was even worse in North Wollo. This week, Fano forces have reported that over 470 government soldiers were killed and more than 170 were captured by Fano forces. 

Government cadres on social media are alleging that Eritrean forces and TPLF forces were part of the Fano operation for which Fano has not remarked yet. 

On Saturday, the Ethiopian Defense Force carried out drone strikes in Sanka, about 10 kilometers west of Woldia, and Jarsa ber, near the entrance to the city.  

Sources who spoke to Borkena on condition of anonymity reported that two civilians were killed from the Jarsa Ber drone strike and two others wounded. 

In Sanka, where a defense force drone strike targeted a health center, four were reportedly wounded. The condition of some of the victims was reported to be life-threatening. 

Ethiopia’s Defense Chief of Staff was making claims when he appeared at the Ethiopian parliament, in June 2025, that over 90 percent of the armed groups had been neutralized. 

Developments on the ground seems to suggest that the Defense Chief misinformed the parliament about the progress of the conflict with the armed groups in different parts of the country – mainly in Amhara where there has been a large-scale full-fledged war for over two years now. 

Hundreds, if not thousands,  of  civilians have been killed across the Amhara region over the past two years in connection with the ongoing conflict between the Fano and the Federal government. 

__

Support Borkena  : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter)  @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. 

advertisment

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here