HomeNewsEthiopia landslide death toll could reach 500 says UN Body

Ethiopia landslide death toll could reach 500 says UN Body

Ethiopia Landslide
Among the trending pictures from the scene of landslide in Gofa Zone of South Ethiopia (Source : SM)

borkena

Toronto – The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA ) on Thursday said that the number of victims from the landslide accident in South Ethiopia could reach 500. It confirmed that so far 257 bodies have been recovered. On Wednesday local sources reported the number of confirmed deaths to be 260. 

According to OCHA, as many as 15,000 people affected by the situation need to be evacuated as they are said to be at risk of another landslide. It is also said that the Federal, regional, and zone-level government authorities are finalizing an evacuation plan.

On the other hand, there are critical voices blaming the government for not doing enough in response to the unprecedented level of tragic natural disaster in the Gofa zone. 

The search efforts are still labour intensive. Government has not deployed excavators or more man power.

The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission on Wednesday released information regarding the situation. While it called the government bodies and humanitarian organizations a “a positive step,”  it said “concerted efforts by relevant federal and regional authorities and national and international humanitarian organizations are necessary to ensure that  emergency response efforts are compliant with human rights principles and provisions as outlined in the UN Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (2015-2030), the African Union Programme of Action for the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction in Africa (2015-2030) and the National Disaster Risk Management Policy.” 

Messages of condolences 

Meanwhile, messages of condolences are trickling in from within the country and abroad. 

The Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Party ( EPRP), one of the leading opposition parties in Ethiopia,  on Thursday released a statement expressing its condolences to the victims of the landslide. 

Enat party, another major opposition party in the country, issued a similar statement of condolences about two days ago. 

Message from Foreign Affairs Ministry of the French republic 

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the French Republic on Thursday expressed condolences to families and loved ones.  It said : 


“France expresses its heartfelt solidarity with the Ethiopian people and offers its deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of the hundreds of victims of the landslide that occurred on July 22 in the Geze-Gofa district, in the South Ethiopia Regional State.” 

Russian President message of condolence 

Russian President Vladmir Putin on Thursday conveyed a message of Condolence to President Sahlework Zewde and Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.  

The Kremlin said: “The President asked the Ethiopian leaders to convey his sincere sympathy and support to the families of the victims, and wished a speedy recovery to all those injured.” 

The U.S. government message 

The U.S. government via its embassy in Addis Ababa has expressed condolences.  In a message shared on X, the embassy said  :

“We are deeply saddened by the tragic landslides that struck Southern Ethiopia, claiming the lives of over 200 people. We extend our condolences to the families and lives impacted by this natural disaster and to the Ethiopian people. The U.S. government via USAID is in touch with humanitarian partners on the ground and is monitoring the situation closely.” 

The U.K. government message 

Like the U.S. , the U.K. government has reacted to the tragedy via its embassy in Addis Ababa. In a message shared on X on Tuesday, the embassy said :  “Deeply saddened by the sudden landslide in Gofa, Southern Ethiopia, following heavy rains.  Our thoughts go out to all those who have lost their lives, as well as their loved ones.  We commend the strong rescue efforts which continue in the search for the missing.”

Many other countries and diplomatic missions have expressed their condolences to the Ethiopian people. 

__

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on twitter @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.  Subscribe to YouTube channel To share information or for submission, send e-mail to info@borkena.com 

advertisment

2 COMMENTS

  1. This is heart wrenching. Tragedy is tragedy but this one a double triple tragedy. From what I heard, the first landslide killed only 3 or 4 people who were buried under dirt and rocks. Then every able man and woman came out to dig up bodies which numbered in their hundreds. That was when the 2nd massive landslide occurred burying hundreds. This is common story we here about deadly mudslides happening in other countries prone to such earth sudden movement.

    Now my dear countrymen and women. This is when we should stand above the fray and stretch out our generous hands the survivors of the victims. Let’s donate the last red cent in our pocket to humanitarian organizations like the Red Cross and other similar reputable groups. Do not send your donations to those among who claim to have set up an account to help those devastated people. If you are contacted, you should ask for their history of audit by IRS. Otherwise don’t do it.

  2. Then she went back downhill to offer help. But what awaited her was a different – and more tragic – scene. There had been a second landslide burying most of those involved in the rescue mission. Families were scrambling looking for their missing loved ones. Some – including the head of the locality who was mobilising residents after the first landslide – were quickly confirmed dead. “I thought he was alive. But he had died. He was still holding on to the axe he had when he went to help [those buried in the first landslide]. According to the UN, 15,000 people will have to be relocated from these hills to avoid future disasters. That will require a lot of effort and money. BBC

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here