HomeEthiopian NewsFano Claims Two Ethiopian Defense Force Commanders Killed in Degadamot Operation

Fano Claims Two Ethiopian Defense Force Commanders Killed in Degadamot Operation

Colonel Abere _ Dega Damot
Unverified photo of colonel Abere who was reportedly killed in Degadamot operation in Amhara region of Ethiopia (Photo :SM)

Borkena News Desk

BORKENA, TORONTO Fano forces on Friday reported that two senior Ethiopian Defense Force commanders were killed during a counter-offensive in Degadamot, in the Gojjam area of Ethiopia’s Amhara region.

Fighting between the Ethiopian Defense Force and Fano forces has been underway in the area for more than a week.

According to Asres Mare, head of public relations for the Amhara Fano National Movement (AFNM), the officers were killed on Friday morning during an operation near Degadamot.

The commanders were identified as Colonel Abere, commander of the 76th Division of the Eastern Command of the Ethiopian Defense Force, and Lt. Colonel Bekele, commander of the 79th First Regiment under the same command.

A picture purportedly showing one of the commanders, Colonel Abere, has been circulating on social media. Activists who support Fano claim the image was retrieved from the commander’s cellphone after he was killed. A blurred image of a woman appearing alongside the commander has triggered allegations of rape and sexual abuse by government forces. Reputable human rights organizations, including Human Rights Watch, have documented allegations that government forces committed rape and other human rights abuses in the Amhara region since the conflict started in August 2023.

In an interview with Anchor Media, Asres Mare said three divisions of the AFNM’s Tewodros Command were engaged in fighting government forces deployed to the area. He said the fighting was still underway at the time of the interview.

Fano forces have alleged this week that the Ethiopian Defense Force launched a massive offensive across the Amhara region “with a mission to eliminate Fano until Sene 30 [July 7].” Mechanized units have been deployed in parts of the Amhara region as part of the latest offensive.

Asres, one of the key Fano leaders, believes the government plans “to finish the operation in the Amhara region and march north against the TPLF forces.”

In addition to Degadamot, intense fighting has also been reported in several parts of the Amhara region. In the Lalibela area of North Wollo, the Menelik Command of the AFNM claimed victory, saying that more than 420 government soldiers had defected to its side.

The claims made by Fano forces have not been independently verified.

At the time of writing, the Ethiopian Defense Force had not commented on reports that two of its commanders had been killed. However, On Wednesday it claimed to have killed more than 230 “enemy forces”—a reference to Fano fighters—in the Gojjam and South Gondar areas.

__

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

Business Listing / Directory   Get Listed! 

Join the conversation. Follow us on twitter @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.  Subscribe to YouTube channel To share information or for submission, send e-mail to info@borkena.com

advertisment

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here