
Borkena
Toronto – The Amhara Fano National Force (AFNF) on Friday announced that it has killed and wounded over 100 government soldiers in the Raya Front of the Amhara region.
This battle front is in the east part of the Amhara region of Ethiopia, North Wollo.
The Menelik Command of AFNF disclosed that it has been battling government forces in six fronts in the area starting from early morning of Thursday.
AFNF noted that the battles were intense ones. The number of casualties on the part of Fano is undisclosed.
The Ethiopian Defense Force has not remarked on the latest claims of Fano force’s military gain in North Wollo.
At the end of last month, government forces suffered what was said to be one of the most devastating defeats since the start of the conflict in the Amhara region in August 2023.
The government alleges that TPLF and Eritrean forces were involved in the planning and execution of that particular operation.
The Ethiopian government forces have been making claims for nearly two years that the battle against Fano forces is ‘complete” except a “clean up” work.
When the government launched the operation in August 2023, it declared a state of emergency and announced the operation in the Amhara region, whose goal was framed as “disarming Fano forces”, would be completed in a few weeks.
The conflict, however, is not only far from over after two years but also it has been spiraling up despite the defense force deployed mechanized units and air force (mostly using drone strikes).
Despite no accurate numbers, the number of Fano combatants has significantly grown over the past two years. Some analysts tend to estimate that the armed group has well over 200,000 forces across the Amhara region.
There does not seem to be an end in sight. This week, the Amhara regional state has reportedly started an effort to hold talks with Fano forces. However, the fano forces reject any talks with the regional government.
__
Support Borkena : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/
Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena
Like borkena on Facebook
Borkena Ethiopian News Youtube Channel
To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com
Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory
Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter) @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.
I bet you this news of victory will be followed by news of atrocities by the government forces which shows these Fanos and Shenes do not have the strength/capacity to defend even a square mile of an area. If you sum up the number of soldiers killed by both Fanos and Shenes you will soon come up with a number more than the population of both Amhara and Oromia regions.
This reminds me what one of my Issa friends told me decades ago. He told me how his total of Ethiopian soldiers killed by the Somali army as reported by the then Radio Mogadishu added up more than the population of Ethiopia at that time. When the Somali army was routed in 1978 in one major offensive it became a massacre of innocent civilians. You see the routine similarities? Stories of made up battle victories are always ahead of atrocities that follow. Are the leaders of these groups graduates of the same school mentored by the same teachers? It may sound comical but it is not funny for the innocent citizens that have to put up with it. Their children can not go to schools because their teachers have been chased away. They can not get basic medical care because healthcare employees have been victimized and driven out of town. They themselves have been displaced from their homes in their thousands. That ain’t a living.