
Borkena
Toronto – The latest round of massive Defense Force operation against Fano forces – which it calls “Operation Tide” – in the Amhara region of Ethiopia has entered its third day. This is supposedly the “last operation” as the Defense Chief, Field Marshal Berhanu Jula, claimed that “over 90 percent of the armed groups is annihilated – a claim that does not seem to reflect a reality on the ground based on reports from multiple source
What do we know so far about “Operation Tide”?
Government has not disclosed information about the outcome of the offensive operation which is across the Amhara region.
Fano forces on the other hand are making claims that they have launched a counter-offensive in many areas.
In Gondar, at least 16 anti-riot forces are reportedly killed and eight others are wounded. Prosperity party branch office officials were killed In the operation near the town of Maksegnit, according to a report from Ethio News. However, it is unspecified if there was a casualty on the side of Fano forces. Another claim in connection with the operation in this particular area is seizure of large quantities of firearms.
Central and South Gonder have also seen intense fighting. The political mobilization in Gondar on the part of the government experienced a major setback as Fano forces operating in the region carried out what appears to be a calculated operation. According to local sources. Ethiopian Airlines flight to Gondar was suspended due to the intense fighting in the region.
The Gondar- Bahir Dar road transport is reportedly closed again – at least in the past two days.
In North Wollo, Lasta and Kobo areas were scenes of another intense battle between Fano and the Defense Force. No reports of causality. However, it does seem to be the case that “Operation Tide” is not going well for the government on this front as well.
In Gojjam, fighting has been underway on 11 fronts over the past three days. Asrest Mare Damtie, executive member of Amhara Fano National Force and one of the leaders of forces in Gojjam, wrote “we were able to defend the operation to hit Fano leaders in an impressive way in the past three days.” He says Military commanders with experiences of leading successful operations were involved in the planning of the ongoing operation in Gojjam. New video footage clips circulating on social media on the weekend shows newly captured government soldiers – apparently from the Gojjam area.
The Amhara region has been restricted to journalists and it has been difficult to independently verify the claims.
Government Response
The Defense force has not remarked about the claims from Fano forces. The government released a statement on Sunday in response to pro-government rallies in many cities across the Amhara region. It is said to be a staged one by the government itself.
It said “relative peace is restored in most areas of the Amhara region but it is not at the level that people in the region want it to be.” It called for support from the public in the fight against Fano forces.
Subscribe : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/
Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena
Like borkena on Facebook
Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory Business Listing Toronto
Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter) @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. Subscribe to YouTube channel To share information or for submission, send e-mail to info@borkena.com