HomeNewsEthiopia : Death Toll from Gamo Zone Flood, Landslide now over 70

Ethiopia : Death Toll from Gamo Zone Flood, Landslide now over 70

Over 128 residents reported from three districts of the zone in South Ethiopia 

Ethiopia  Gamo Zone _ Landslide
One of Gamo localities after the landslide (South Ethiopia Region Government Communication)

Borkena

Toronto – The death toll from the latest flood and Landslide accident in Gamo, South Ethiopia, reported to be over 70. Authorities from the zone said 64  others are missing.

70 bodies were recovered following an intense search operation that involved digging and clearing of the landslide that killed the residents. The regional government has confirmed it. 

The accident occurred in three districts of the zone  about three days ago. It occurred after the areas received heavy rainfall for three days.  The heaviest rain was on Wednesday, according to sources. It was not a rainy season for the area or even in any part of Ethiopia. 

It occurred after midnight – at a time when family members are home and sleeping.  

A search operation for those missing is still underway. It is said to be complicated due to the topography of the location. 

Hailemariam Tesfaye, head of the region’s government communication service, said 3,480 residents are displaced from affected localities of the zone. He has also confirmed a police report that the bodies of 70 victims recovered. 

90 residential houses were destroyed due to the landslide. The flood has caused substantial damage to the area too. 

The most severe landslide accident  was in Gacho Baba district where 59 bodies were recovered.  In this locality alone, the number of residents that are reported to be missing is 50. 

Police said the total number of missing people from the accident is 128, as reported by BBC Amharic. 

The districts affected by the landslide are said to have several downhill topographic features. 

There had been a more devastating landslide accident in July 2024. More than 229 residents were killed. In the aftermath of the accident, the government appeared as if it would act on it by identifying vulnerable areas and relocating residents. It did not happen. The blame is now on “untimely rain.” 

 __

Support Borkena  : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

Borkena Ethiopian News Youtube Channel

To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter)  @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. 

advertisment

1 COMMENT

  1. The latest number is more than 100 people have died and tens still missing. Let’s band together and help in every way we can to help these upright and noble people. My recollection from what I read in the past on some of our websites, such nature’s calamities of deadly landslides and flash flooding are not uncommon in that part of the country which is densely populated. May the deceased rest in eternal peace.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here