HomeNewsEHRCO : Ethiopian gov't failed on its responsibility to protect citizens 

EHRCO : Ethiopian gov’t failed on its responsibility to protect citizens 

Ethiopian Human Rights Council has been calling for the Ethiopian gov’t to end kidnappings and killings of civilians

borkena

Toronto – It has been years since Ethiopians and human rights organizations have been blaming the Abiy Ahmed led government over failure to protect the security of citizens. 

The Ethiopian Human Rights Council ( EHRCO) is reiterating it. In statement it released on Thursday, in which it highlighted the calls it has been making for the government to discharge on its responsibility to maintain peace and security, EHRCO said because of the failure of Federal and regional governments to act at a level that is needed, rape, killing and kidnapping is proliferating at a large scale. 

The rights group reiterated that  the killings and  kidnappings of citizens have reached a point where the right to live and right to free mobility from place to place are impaired. 

The statement also highlighted the latest verified killings in the East Arsi Zone of the Oromia region of Ethiopia. It said civilians were killed in Sherka district by gunmen between June 13 and June 30.  It listed the names of nine victims but said the number of victims is much higher and over 20 people were kidnapped. The whereabouts of those who were kidnapped is unknown yet. Many , as EHRCO puts it, have been displaced from the area where the attack took place. In Hetos district, still in East Arsi, Gunmen killed a father and his son , and three civilians were kidnapped. 

Furthermore, EHRCO stated there had been killings of civilians ( it quantified it as “many”)  in Horo Guduru, Wollega, Shambu town following a battle between government forces and armed groups operating in the region ( a reference to a group that calls itself as Oromo Liberation Army) between June 27 and July 7, 2024. There was also detention and kidnapping in the same area to the point that residents were displaced to other areas, according to EHRCO. 

In the Gurage zone of Central Ethiopia, displaced people attacked where they were staying in the early morning of July 15. Many were killed and several others injured in the attack, said the statement from EHRCO. 

The rights group reiterated its call for the Federal government to end killings, detention and kidnappings by armed groups as well as end mass detention by government security forces. It also called for the Oromia regional state to end killings of citizens, kidnappings and the right to move from place to place. 

As reported by Borkena, three busses of travelers were kidnapped in Garba Guracha earlier this month as they were traveling from the Amhara region to the capital Addis Ababa. Over 160 of them were students from Debark University. Oromia regional government claimed that it secured their release but it was later reported that kidnapped students were still under their OLA kidnappers. The reginal government did not release any update since then.

__

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on twitter @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.  Subscribe to YouTube channel To share information or for submission, send e-mail to info@borkena.com 

advertisment

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here