
Borkena
Toronto – The Amhara regional state of Ethiopia on Friday announced that it has made changes to curfew over a year ago.
It was introduced in July 2024 as the regional state faced increased pressure from the Fano forces. Incidents of targeted shooting of government officials and grenade expositions in the city were making headlines in Ethiopian news outlets.
The curfew, since then, imposed restrictions on the movement of vehicles (particularly tuk tuk’s), movement of people and opening hours of businesses.
The change from the regional state indicated the restriction on businesses is lifted. It has also lifted restrictions on the operation of vehicles and Tuk Tuks.
The regional government claims that the “security situation in the region is now improved.”
However, tuk tuks are still under restriction after 6 p.m. Similarly, Motorbike is prohibited after the same time, an indication that the security concern is not entirely addressed.
On the other hand, Fano forces are claiming that they continue to make significant military gains against government forces. Asres Mare Damtie, one of the executive committee of Amahra Fano National Force (AFNF) says, “It is not admitting it but the government is defeated.”
He told Ethiopian news sources that the Fano forces have recently seized weapons from the recent battles in the Gojjam area, whose quantity is enough to arm two divisions of the army. The stories have not been independently verified as restricted for reports and human rights advocates are still in place. However, new video footage has recently been circulating on social media purportedly showing captured government soldiers.
The fighting in the Amhara region of Ethiopia started in May 2023 but it was in August that the government made it official by introducing a six months long state of emergency which was extended twice to a total of over a year.
About 20 or so days ago, the government launched what it called “operation tide” with the aim to eliminate Fano once and for all. It was planned to be completed by the end of June 2025. However, there are clear indications that armed conflicts are still occurring in many parts of the region.
Support Borkena : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/
Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena
Like borkena on Facebook
Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory Business Listing Toronto
Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter) @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. Subscribe to YouTube channel To share information or for submission, send e-mail to info@borkena.com
What happened to the other news about Fano’s multiple victories under the headline ‘Fano Forces Claim Another Military Gains From Recent Operations”? Did it go into hiding? Just wondering.
Btw, I just came back from Piccola Roma after closing a deal to spruce up my newly found ‘Itu Republic’. I’ve told you before that Isu and I go way back to the 1960’s. We are longtime buddies twisted like snakes. During my stay there I bumped into every group currently fighting the regime in Addis/Finfinne. Everybody is there. I mean everyone. They know how to scavenge at dump sites there. They are experts at it.
Dear Over Qualified Editors,
All I can say is, Bravo! Bravo!! Bravo!!!