HomeNewsAFPO claims it launched surprise attack on Gov't Positions in Debresina

AFPO claims it launched surprise attack on Gov’t Positions in Debresina

AFPO _ Fano _ Ethiopia News
Abebe Mulatu (SM)

Borkena

Toronto – Amhara Fano Popular Organization (AFPO) on Thursday launched a surprise attack on what it called “regime forces” in three towns ; Debresina, Tarmaber and Armania. 

The three towns are along the Addis Ababa-Dessie road. Debresina town is a popular meal break town for road transport passengers to and from Dessie and further north.  The locations are within less than 200 kilometers to the capital Addis Ababa. 

In a  statement shared on social media, Abebe Mulatu, public relation head of AFPO in the area, said  Mohammed Bihonegn and Ates Admission Corps of Amhara Fano Shewa Teklay Gizat   “lightning offensive”   and inflicted serious losses on government forces. 

The targets were, according to the spokesperson, “Airborne and Republican guard” 105th division of the defense force “on whom the government rely.” 

Government forces in Debresina were posted at Borchele camp. AFPO went on to claim that it was in control of the town for several hours. 

“After our hero’s accomplished their mission, they withdrew from the town in accordance with the military command[on Fano] for the next mission,” the spokesperson added.

However, AFPO did not share details of the numbers of losses on the part of government forces. Usually, Fano forces do not share information about military losses on their part. 

In a related development, the rebel’s 204th Aschalew Dessie corps of AFPO forces of Gafat Division claimed that they had carried out what they described as a “successful” ambush operation in the Guna zone of Gondar, north west Ethiopia.  

Based on their narrative, government forces were moving from Kimir Dengay to Gassay from two directions “to encircle Dejen brigade”  of the Fano forces. Seven government soldiers are killed and ten others were wounded, AFPO said. 

“When the enemy was supposed to collect bodies, it has carelessly abandoned them as usual. Fano mobilized the community in the area to bury them,” it said. 

However, the Defense force on its part has been making claims of significant military gains over the past few weeks.  Yesterday, it shared a news release on its social media page saying “Mebrek Division of the 6th command is taking the necessary measures on the extremist  force [reference to Fano]. It captured human resources and seized firearms and ammunition.” 

It did not specify the location of the operation.  It also said that the Metema division of the North East Command recovered two vehicles the “extremist” had been using in the Waghumra area of the region. 

As was the case with Fano forces, the defense force did not disclose the number of casualties from  the operations. 

The conflict in the Amhara region started in August 2023 when the Federal government started a “military operation” to “disarm” fano forces. Initially it was planned to be completed within three weeks. Human rights organizations have reported thousands of civilians have been killed since the conflict started. 

__

Support Borkena  : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

Borkena Ethiopian News Youtube Channel

To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter)  @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. 

advertisment

1 COMMENT

  1. Whose turn is next? You wanna bet? Missing number of body count is very unusual but the objective is very clear. ‘We are everywhere’ thing. Okay Arat Kilo, you’re next! May be a display of captured arms with body count? We are waiting!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here