HomeNewsEritrea Will Not “Accept Interference Or Coercion” On Sovereignty  Or Territorial Integrity 

Eritrea Will Not “Accept Interference Or Coercion” On Sovereignty  Or Territorial Integrity 

Eritrea _ Ethiopia _ News _ Red Sea

Borkena

Toronto –  Eritrea’s Ministry of Information on Saturday published a guest post (from Hasebela Kafel) which appears to be written in response to growing assertion to Access to the Red Sea by the party of Ethiopia. 

The writing describes claims on the part of Prosperity Party over Access to the sea as “revisionist.”

One of  the things it addressed is, it appears, a recent remark by Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the Ethiopian Parliament that Eritrea turned down an initiative to redevelop Assab port. 

“Eritrea has never been opposed to, or impeded regional cooperation anchored on mutual and symmetric benefits,” it said.

From the statement the Eritrean government seems to have seen the move by Abiy Ahmed’s government as “unilateral.” 

The writing stated that Eritrea is interested in  “Genuine cooperation cannot rest on unilateral adventurism or revisionist claims. It requires mutual respect, legal clarity, and a shared commitment to stability.”  

Another key point is that Eritrea insinuated that the interest in the ports was for military purposes.  It said  “Eritrea’s ports are not open, as merchandize, for foreign military or naval purposes, and that mediation by external powers is neither legally required nor politically appropriate.”   

In his speech last week, Abiy Ahmed disclosed that his government approached the major powers (China, Russia and USA) among other  powers seeking negotiation over access to the Red Sea. 

Eritrea seems to have understood potential involvement of any great powers rather than “interference.”  Eritrea stated that it “firmly rejects any external interference or coercion that seeks to undermine its sovereignty or territorial integrity.”

Apart from raising legal arguments surrounding the circumstances under which Ethiopia lost Assab under the late Meles Zenawi as president of the provisional government, the government seems to be emphasizing potential security vulnerability from the Red Sea. Ethiopia is only 60 kilometers away from the Red Sea.

Eritrea’s position on the use of the ports “must be negotiated directly and bilaterally between Eritrea and its chosen partners,” in light of International laws. 

It also made claims that “Its national policy is rooted in the conviction that peace and progress anywhere in the Horn contribute to stability everywhere.” The principle of cooperation is enshrined in the National Charter, Eritrea argues. 

However, Eritrea has been facing accusations of proxy wars  financing and supporting rebel groups in Ethiopia – particularly during the 20 years of no-peace-no-war relations. More recently,  Abiy Ahmed government accuses Eritrea of supporting the Debtretsion Gebremichael  led  TPLF faction and Fano forces. The latter has denied. 

The TPLF has been openly defending the military and political alliance with Eritrea which is known as Tsimdo. This week TPLF made a call for Fano  and Afar forces to collaborate against Abiy Ahmed’s ruling Prosperity party.  Ethnic Tigray politicians like Gebru Asrat say Tsimdo’s goal is to “disintegrate Ethiopia.” 

Eritrea denies allegations of destabilizing activity. “Eritrea’s record speaks for itself. The country has maintained internal stability, contributed to regional peace efforts in Somalia and Sudan, and consistently sought constructive engagement.” 

Concluding what the Eritrean position is, the post stated “At a time when misinformation and manufactured narratives threaten to cloud understanding of the Horn, it is essential to distinguish between agenda-driven rhetoric and the realities on the ground. Eritrea’s position is clear, consistent, and lawful: sovereignty is not negotiable, cooperation must be mutual, and regional peace can only rest on respect and equality among nations.”

The dispute tension between Eritrea and Ethiopia has only been worsening over the past few months. Abiy Ahmed last week officially claimed at the Ethiopian Parliament that the Port of Assab was illegally handed over to Eritrea. “No single page document from the cabinet or the parliament was found,” he said.   He also vowed that it will not take Ethiopia another thirty years to reclaim “its Assab port.” 

Eritrea has rejected the narrative. On Thursday, Eritrean President Isaias Afeworki, along with his Minister for Foreign Affairs Osman Saleh, headed to Cairo for a five days of working visit which is said to be initiated by Egyptian President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi. Security of the Red Sea is among the topics discussed during a meeting between the leaders of the two countries, according to Egyptians news sources. Egypt has expressed commitment not to allow Ethiopia to have access to the Red Sea. 

The issue of access to the sea has been dominating state-owned media outlets’ contents in Ethiopia  in recent times. 

__

Support Borkena  : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

Borkena Ethiopian News Youtube Channel

To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter)  @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. 

advertisment

1 COMMENT

  1. That is my Black Italian home boy! Tell’em bro! Those Ethiopians don’t know how to think. All they do all day is ‘revise’ their assigned homework over and over from dawn to dusk. Btw, my other homie Al-Toweel Isu is doing a heck of job by calling on ‘The Workers of The World Unite!’ and showing the world how it is done. He and el-Sisi are united now. Ethiopia, you’re toast!!!! Please tell my other home boy Isu I said hello.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here