HomeEthiopian NewsEthiopian PM Says "We Do Not Know Decided To Give Assab To...

Ethiopian PM Says “We Do Not Know Decided To Give Assab To Eritrea” 

The issue of the Red Sea is “inevitable.’ We will try first through peaceful way and negotiation, Abiy Ahmed told the parliament  

Ethiopian PM _ Red Sea _ Assab
Ethiopian PM at the Ethiopian Parliament, October 28, 2025 (Photo : PD)

Borkena

Toronto – Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed shared what he seems to presume ‘new’ about Assab when he appeared at the Ethiopian parliament on Tuesday in what appears to be an effort to substantiate the legality of claiming Ethiopia’s Red Sea access back. 

His message was shared across the social media government ministries.  The Ministry of foreign Affairs quoted him as saying :

 “We believe that the Red Sea issue is a legal, historical, geographical, and economic matter that must be approached calmly and thoughtfully. When we ask who decided to deprive Ethiopia of access to the Red Sea, it is clear that institutions were not involved. It is therefore appropriate to question who made such a vital decision. Ethiopia cannot exist in isolation. Our message to our neighbours is that as Ethiopia grows, it will serve as a source of development and prosperity for the entire region. What we seek is shared growth and mutual progress.” 

The Prime Minister also stated that there had been diplomatic efforts immediately after the end of state of hostilities between Ethiopia and Eritrea in 2018. He made a reference to the Eritrean President’s reception at the Millennium Hall in 2018 where the issue of Assab was raised. 

He also disclosed that he initiated a request for a visit to Assab where he and the Eritrean president, as he puts it, discussed the possibility of redeveloping the port of Assab which was agreed at the time.  The road to  Assab was redeveloped but the next step of the process was stopped after his government made a move to deploy excavators. He said, Eritrean government declined the offer and no explanation was given. ” Thereafter, we learned that the issue of Assab did not have hope,” he added. 

Another reference he cited to emphasize the importance of regaining Red Sea access and diplomatic effort was his discussion of the issue in his book “medemer.” 

“I have sent a copy of the book to all Eritrean officials highlighting the issue,” he added but he did not say if he got a reply. 

Another layer of the diplomatic effort he cited was that his government approached state actors like the U.S, China, Russia, European Union and unspecified actors in Africa to initiate a mediation effort. To be clear, the mediation he is seeking is that “Assab was illegally given to Eritrea.” 

Then he went on to tell the parliamentarians that Ethiopia’s access to the Red Sea is “inevitable” and that his government prioritizes   peaceful ways and dialogue implying that he will pursue military options if these fail. “We have lost it for thirty years but it will not take us thirty years to get it back,” he added. 

It has been months, at least, since his government started what appears to be a preparation for war along with mounting the Red Sea narrative channel through state-owned media outlets and other party affiliated social media channels. 

Eritrea has not remarked at the time of this writing. 

Opposition voice in the Parliament 

Over 95 percent of the Ethiopian Parliament is dominated by the ruling Prosperity Party. It was only Desalegne Chanie, an opposition voice from National Movement of Amhara (NaMA) which is now considered in the opposition quarter as a government clique, who expressed opposition to the Prime Minister. 

He stated that the Red Sea access issue was brought up as a “distraction” and accused the ruling party of starting to pursue too many things at a time. He likened the under which the government raised the Assab issue to ” starting cooking in six pots and burning one,”  he added. In Prosperity’s case, it may burn more. 

Desaglegne was clear that Ethiopia’s need for sea access is obvious but the internal problem has to be resolved first. 

He also emphasized that the Ethiopian People is fed up with conflict and has become difficult to freely move across the country to work and bring bread home. “Especially the civil war in Amhara and Oromia regions, costing Ethiopia dearly.”

The Prime Minister ridiculed the MP and even dared to insinuate that he is carrying an Eritrean message. 

Opposition voices outside the parliament 

The Ethiopian People Revolutionary Party (EPRP) leader, Abraham Haymanot, had an interview with  Ethiopian Media Services (EMS). He stated that he and his party were disappointed that the conflict and security situation ( notably at a crisis level) in the country was not emphasized. 

As is the case with other Ethiopian opposition and opposition figures, EPRP is a champion of Ethiopia’s access to the sea but it says it is not a priority at this time. 

Abiy Ahmed’s interpretation of opposition parties criticism over timing reads something like “it is because they want to do it when they come [to power]” 

Enat Party leaders have not yet remarked on it.  

Activists and opinion leaders are also opposing the Prime Minister’s apparent move to start war against Eritrea.

__

Support Borkena  : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

Borkena Ethiopian News Youtube Channel

To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter)  @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. 

advertisment

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here