The Ethiopian government and the TPLF have reached an agreement “to permanently silence the guns and end the two years of conflict in northern Ethiopia.”
The Ethiopian government and Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) on Wednesday reached a peace agreement in South Africa after ten days of intense talks.
It was the African Union that led the discussion. Former Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo, now African Union Special Envoy to the Horn of Africa, was the chief mediator. Former Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and former South African Deputy President, Mlambo-Ngcuka, were assisting the facilitation.
The two parties have agreed to reach a cessation of hostilities on the condition that the TPLF disarm its forces and renounce its claims as the “Government of Tigray”, among other things. The United States has apparently dropped a reference to the rebel group as “Government of Tigray or Tigray authorities.” A statement from Anthony Blinken, which was released on November 2, referred to the group as “the Tigray People’s Liberation Front. ”
The Ethiopian Government and TPLF have released a joint statement regarding the agreement and its implementation.
It reads as follows :
“Joint Statement between the Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and the Tigray Peoples’ Liberation Front (TPLF)
1. As per Article 3 of the Agreement for Lasting Peace and Permanent Cessation of Hostilities, the Representatives of the Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and the TPLF have agreed to announce to the people of Ethiopia and the rest of the world that after 10 days of intensive negotiations have concluded a peace agreement.
2. We have agreed to permanently silence the guns and end the two years of conflict in northern Ethiopia.
3. The conflict has brought a tragic degree of loss of lives and livelihoods and it is in the interest of the entire people of Ethiopia to leave this chapter of conflict behind and live in peace and harmony.
4. It is fundamental that we reaffirmed our commitment to safeguarding the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ethiopia and to upholding the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. Thus, Ethiopia has only one national defense force. We have also agreed on a detailed program of disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration for the TPLF combatants, taking into account the security situation on the ground.
5. We have agreed that the Government of Ethiopia will further enhance its collaboration with humanitarian agencies to continue expediting aid to all those in need of assistance.
6. We have agreed to implement transitional measures that include the restoration of Constitutional order in the Tigray region, a framework for the settlement of political differences, and a Transitional Justice Policy framework to ensure accountability, truth, reconciliation, and healing.
7. To start implementing these undertakings without delay, we have agreed to stop all forms of conflicts, and hostile propaganda. We will only make statements that support the expeditious implementation of the Agreement. We urge Ethiopians in the country and abroad, to support this Agreement, stop voices of division and hate, and mobilize their resources for economic recovery and rehabilitation of social bonds.
8. The Government of Ethiopia will continue the efforts to restore public services and rebuild the infrastructures of all communities affected by the conflict. Students must go to school, farmers, and pastoralists to their fields, and public servants to their offices. The Agreement requires the support of the public for its smooth implementation. This is a new and hopeful chapter in the history of the country.
9. We express our gratitude to all actors contributing to the success of this endeavor. In particular, the African Union Commission Chairperson, the African High-Level Panel led by His Excellency former President Olusegun Obasanjo, supported by His Excellency former President Uhuru Kenyatta, and Her Excellency Dr. Phumuzile Mlalmbo, former Deputy President of the Republic of South Africa. We thank the Chairperson of the African Union Commission, His Excellency Mr. Moussa Faki Mahamat, Commissioner Bankole Adeoye and his colleagues for their tireless work during these talks. We rely on their continued support as we implement the Agreement.
10. We thank His Excellency President Cyril Ramaphosa, the President of the Republic of South Africa, and Her Excellency Dr. Naledi Pandor, the Minister for the Department of International Relations and Cooperation of South Africa for the excellent facilities they put at the disposal of these talks and their words of encouragement to the parties towards these successful results. We are indebted for the hospitality accorded to us by the People and Government of the Republic of South Africa.
11. We are grateful to the people of Ethiopia for encouraging these talks and patiently waiting for the outcome. We are confident that they will embrace the results of these talks and ensure their timely implementation.
12. Finally, we are confident that friends of Ethiopia and members of the diplomatic community will lend their support in rebuilding infrastructures in affected communities and the economic recovery of the country. We call on all types of media outlets to support peace, reconciliation, unity, and prosperity in Ethiopia.
Jointly Delivered at Pretoria, the Republic of South Africa, on 2nd November 2022.”
To share information or for submission, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena
Join the conversation. Follow us on twitter @zborkenato get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. Like borkena on Facebook as well. To share information or for submission, send e-mail to email@example.com
Congratulations the upright people of Ethiopia! Today another scenario that could break you apart into unrecognizable pieces has been averted. You have been starving of peace more than food for years and now this agreement looks to usher you what you have been wanting for decades. I feel blessed to hear such sound of peace at this stage of my high mileage life.
Brothers Debretsion and Abiy! I am gonna call you both as such, brothers from now on as long as you don’t go back on your words and start another senseless bloodshed. Above I congratulate US Special Envoy Mike Hammer, H.E. Olusegun Obasanjo, Brothers Uhuru Kenyatta, Mlambo-Ngcuka and member states of IGAD for such historic accomplishment. The stakeholders of this sacred deal are brothers and sisters bound by the golden rule that they are all children of the Almighty whose centuries old grandpa Bilal and centuries old grandma Mary Magdalene had save both major religions of the country. When the list of candidates for this Nobel Peace Prize is announced, the list does not mean diddly squat for me if it does not include the names of Envoy Hammers, Obasanjo, Uhuru and Mlambo. Finally the torch of peace has arrived for the people of Tigray, Amhara and Afar regions. Now I am being overwhelmed by tearing up emotion!!!!
I want to say this Anita, Sameer, Ehsasi and Mukesh Kapila! Nananananana!!!!!
Both seated on the left- left-wingers!
How is Dr Abiy a brother to the tplf terrorist? Also how come you talk about peace while OLF shene is worse than woyane who is committing GENOCIDE in Oromo regions?
Congratulations for the peaceful settlement of the bitter war between brothers,great people of Ethiopia,the pillar of Africa was bleeding for good two years,when the backbone is affected,the world body suffer,when it get curred,the world body get relief,we are so excited to hear for having treated,Disintegration of Ethiopia wouldn’t be encouraged by any A fricans,thank you for having secured peace,it is a good news for the lion’s heart country to enjoy peace and harmony again..the imperialist suck the mud again as you did during scramble and partition of Africa,you had a history strongly needed to be erase,the battle of Adwa when you defeated the dark forces of imperialist.you prove wrong again by resisting their ploy.
Stop Land Theft which is the source of violence and war.
TPLF and OLF are Land thieves and that is why TPLF and OLF are violating the peace and tranquility of Ethiopia/Ethiopians!
Let Amhara people FREELY CHOOSE their leaders and be represented by Amharas that stand for Amhara interest.
If PEACE to happen so as JUSTICE for the victims of this uncalled war by Amharas and Afar people including Tigrayns.
It Abiy government wants peace how come he never managed to go after and stop the daily massacre and crime by the growing and well fed and organize OLF/OLA, Oromo Liberation Army ?
If to have genuine peace restore what is known to be historically Amhara Land. Gojjam, Meteke, Showa, Gonder and Wollo.
Peace is not wanted with TPLF only so as from the other savage OLA/Shene ( Oromo Liberation Army).
Right now the Oromo Liberation Army is massacring and expanding its control while the government is silence as if people are not dying, loosing their livelihoods, families and treated as STATLESS in their own country.