Ethiopia: At least 34 people killed in Benishangul Gumuz region

Benishangul Gumuz region of Ethiopia continues to be dangerous for some Ethiopians

Ethiopia _ Benishangul Gumuz

borkena
November 15, 2020

Hundreds of thousands of civilians had been killed in the Benishangul Gumuz region of Ethiopia in the past two months. Government officials had involvement in some of those attacks. The security situation does not seem to be improving.

Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) announced on Sunday that an estimated 34 people were killed due to “a gruesome attack” on a passenger bus on the night of November 14.  The number of casualties is expected to rise due to similar attacks in Wubgish, Yamp, and Kido districts of the region.

Deputy head of Debate district administration was among the people who were wounded in the attack, according to Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation report.

The passenger bus that was attacked was traveling from Wonbera to Changi (Debate woreda).

Ethiopian Defense Force and the region’s special forces reportedly took measures against the gunmen responsible for the attack.

“The latest attack is a grim addition to the human cost which we bear collectively. Reports of the swift intervention of government security forces to prevent further escalation thereof is encouraging,” EHRC Chief Commissioner Daniel Bekele is quoted as saying in a report that the commission published on its social media page.

The commission seems to think that reforming security apparatus could resolve the issue. EHRC Daniel said, “The unrelenting pace of attacks on civilians in Benishangul-Gumuz calls for higher vigilance and a more coordinated action between regional and federal security forces. We urge the federal and regional security and judicial authorities to work together, and in consultation with the local community, to redesign a regional security strategy that can put a final stop to these attacks.”

Benishangul Gumuz region police said that 16 gunmen responsible for the attack on the passenger’s pass were killed and two others arrested.

Adulaziz Mohammed, the region’s police commissioner, said that the defense forces deployed in the region, the Federal Police, the region’s special force, and militia carried out a coordinated operation to eliminate the gunmen.

The gunmen are linked to Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) – an organization that is now informally labeled as a terrorist group.

The Ethiopian government is currently carrying on a law enforcement operation against TPLF leaders in the Tigray region which escalated into war.



Join the conversation. Like borkena on Facebook and get Ethiopian News updates regularly. As well, you may get Ethiopia News by following us on twitter @zborkena

One Response to "Ethiopia: At least 34 people killed in Benishangul Gumuz region"

  1. ድሪባ ኩማ   November 17, 2020 at 9:15 am

    As Ethiopia is one of the one hundred ninety four member countries of Interpol , It is commendable Ethiopia is asking for full cooperation and assistance from Interpol in this one of the biggest if not the biggest law enforcement operation mission ever conducted in Africa.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.