HomeEthiopian NewsExtrajudicial Killings In Mekane Selam, Attempted Attack on Amhara Region President

Extrajudicial Killings In Mekane Selam, Attempted Attack on Amhara Region President

Amhara Region _ Arega Kebede _ Ethiopia News
Arega kebede, second from left (blue hat) (file)

borkena

Toronto – Amhara Region President Arega Kebede reportedly came under attack from Fano forces in Lalibela town on Monday.

Ethiopia Media Service cited Amhara Fano East Amhara Menelik Command Asaminew Regiment  of the Fano forces to report the public relation of the Fano forces in the region has disclosed the attack. 

The report said he came under attack shortly after arriving at Shumsa airport in the city and started heading to Lalibela city.  The attack took place at the locality of Berta.

The surprise attack operation was between  8 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. 

Ten members of the Republican guard who were escorting Arega are reportedly killed. But his escape was facilitated with another vehicle, according to the report.  

The claim Fano made is not independently verified. The Ethiopian government has not remarked about it at the time of this writing. 

New Reports of Extrajudicial Killings of civilians 

Meanwhile, government forces have reportedly executed five non-combatant youth near Mekaneselam town, South Wollo area of the Amhara region. 

The incident took place at Abay Ber Meqdela a few kilometers east of Mekaneselam. They were shot on the road, according to sources.

The locality is said to be the Menelik Command Niguse Mikael Ali Corps operation area. Hours before the execution, a battle was fought between Fano forces and government forces. 

Engineer Desalegne Division of the Command claims that it inflicted loss on government forces several hours before the execution. 

The victims are  identified as Yitages Arega, Mechale Dereb, Eshetu Bire, Simegnew Tigabu and Habte Abi Tamene.

 The government has not remarked on this either. 

There had been incidents of verified extrajudicial killings in different parts of the Amhara region over the past two years. 

Reputable human rights organizations including UN Human Rights, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International had issued reports in connection with the execution of non-combatant civilians. 

Thousands of civilians are said to have been killed in different parts of the Amhara region  since the conflict started in August 2023. 

Over 4 million students are out of school in the region because of the war. Social service delivery including health have been impaired in many areas and rights abuse has been on the rise. 

Government work related restrictions to the region are in place for journalists and human rights investigators. 

__

Support Borkena  : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

Borkena Ethiopian News Youtube Channel

To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter)  @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.  

advertisment

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here