HomeEthiopian NewsAfar Regional State Confirms TPLF Forces Started War, Controlled Six Villages 

Afar Regional State Confirms TPLF Forces Started War, Controlled Six Villages 

TPLF Afar Attack

Borkena

Toronto – The Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) finally started war after preparing for months. 

Afar Communication Bureau on Wednesday announced that the TPLF forces crossed  to the region and controlled six villages after shelling civilians with mortar and ZU-23.

“The Gujile that never learns from its mistake today entered the Afar region and controlled six villages by force after undertaking its usual terrorist activity by shelling civilians with Mortar an Zu-23,” the region’s communication bureau said in a statement it shared on social media. 

The incursion was in zone two of the region in Megale district Tonsa Kebele and Milki areas.  The operation occurred around 7 p.m. local time, according the statement from the regional government. 

Pastoralist communities are reportedly impacted by the attack. 

“By opening a heavy weaponry shelling on Afar pastoralist communities it has openly and loudly dismantled the Pretoria Agreement,” the regional government said.  The statement is unspecified if there were  casualties from the attack.  

The region was heavily devastated by, as is the case with Tigray and Amhara region, the TPLF military operation during the 2020-2022 war which is believed to have claimed over 600,000 lives. 

Afar communication further stated that elders from the community pleaded to the TPLF military to return to no avail. 

It appears there was no military response to the TPLF forces at the time. 

The region vowed that “it has a duty to defend its boundary, any external attack and  “protect the security of citizens.” 

Earlier in the day other sources reported that TPLF forces launched a military operation against Tigray Peace Force (TPF) which broke away from “Tigray Defense Force” opposing another round of war and a military alliance with the Eritrean government.  

The TPLF has reportedly deployed heavy weaponry. TPF, which has been operating from within the Afar region for many months now, is said to have suffered losses. However, the number of casualties.  

TPF is said to be supported by the Ethiopian government. 

TPLF has not yet remarked on the allegation of conducting a military operation in the Afar region. Last week, it accused the Federal government of “Preparing for war” and “violating the Pretoria Agreement.” 

When the Defense Force commemorated the 5th anniversary of TPLF’s attack on the Northern Command of the Ethiopian Defense Force this week, Chief of Staff Field Marshal Berhanu Jula stated that the Defense Force will be responding if the TPLF started a military action. 

__

Support Borkena  : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

Borkena Ethiopian News Youtube Channel

To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter)  @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.  

advertisment

1 COMMENT

  1. The incompetent and discredited Abiy Ahmed has been provoking the regional power Tigray. He has violated the Pretoria agreement and ignored repeated call to respect it. Tolerance and diplomacy have their own limitations and Tigray has said eneough is enough and is sending a message to Abiy Ahmed. The present US administration will not try to save Abiy Ahmed.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here