
Borkena
Toronto – Ethiopian Defense Force on Friday made claims that it has killed 81 “extremists,” as it calls them, in the Gondar and Gojjam areas of the Amhara region. 44 others are said to be wounded and 11 are captured. The dates of the operations are unspecified except it was implied that the operations were underway since over a week or so ago.
Not just that, the defense force said “twelve others drowned at Abay river while retreating, incapable of resisting the offensive.” And one of them was head of Ephrem Atinafu Brigade Office. Two other Fano leaders mentioned in the report are “Gumze and Bezabih.”
The defense force also highlighted additional lists of Fano leaders who it said were killed in action. Engineer Ephrem Atinafu, Engineer Wasihun Alene, Inspector Simeneh Melese,Teshager Ademe, Mihretu Abebe, and Gizachew Desalew are said to be killed. However, local news outlets with links to sources from the Amhara region report that many of the leaders claimed to have been killed are actually alive.
It is the Eastern Command of the Ethiopian Defense Force, which is under Let. General Mohammed Tessema, that is making the claim. This command had been making recurring similar claims over the past few months. It is further claimed that some of them killed in the operations are Fano leaders.
“In a special operation, the East Command and the Cores under it have attained results that broke the spine of the extremist group. Although the extremists planned to make a media campaign in all Gojjam and Gondar zones, it ended in fiasco. It has lost 81 leaders and fighters” the Defense force stated in the update it shared on its social media page.
Ebnat, Libokemkem, Farta, Estie and Dera districts are cited as localities where there was an operation in the South Gondar areas of Gondar.
In Gojjam, the operation was “cleaning” the defense added. Dangela, Demama. Fagta Lemako, Angereb, Quarit, Gulsh, Sekela, South Mecha, South Achefer and North Mecha are among areas where there was battle between Fano forces and the Defense force, according to the update from the government. Some of the localities are areas where the defense force allegedly carried out extrajudicial killings.
In terms of firearms, the Defense force claimed that it has seized 1 RPG, 1 PKM Machine gun, 85 Dsk ammunition, 27 individual assault rifles, 103 AKM ammunition.
In addition, the Defense force said that it has seized a rocket launcher that Fano forces have reportedly manufactured from pieces of metals.
The Defense Force claims are not independently verified. The Fano forces in Gojjam and South Gondar are yet to remark about the Defense Force claim.
Meanwhile, Fano forces have also been reporting what appears to be significant military gains against the Defense Force.
On Thursday, Amhara Fano National Force and Amhara Fano Popular Organization announced a decision that schools in the areas under their control will be open for the upcoming academic year indicating that they are still in control of much of the Amhara region.
Over 5 million students have been out of school in the region in the past two years due to the ongoing war .
__
Support Borkena : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/
Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena
Like borkena on Facebook
To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com
Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory
Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter) @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.