HomeNewsEPRP Urges The Government To Stop Abducting Journalists 

EPRP Urges The Government To Stop Abducting Journalists 

EPRP _ Ethiopia _ Politics
Mistre Selassie Tamrat , EPRP Secretary (Social Media/File)

Borkena

Toronto – Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Party (EPRP) on Tuesday released a statement in reaction to the abduction of two journalists.

“We urge the system to refrain from the heinous actions it is taking  using networks it created to stifle [dissent and free press],” the party said in its statement. 

The party has been a vocal critic of the ruling prosperity parts over the past few fears on a range of grounds including war in different parts of the country, security crisis, ethnic based violence, spiraling cost of living and other forms of government mal-practices including corruption.

In its statement today, it reiterated “it is public knowledge that Ethiopia has been on a downhill path over the past seven years.” 

Moreover, it cited the abduction of the two journalists and media professionals as evidence that the space for press freedom is narrowing. 

Before EPRP, Enat Party, another strong opposition party in the country, criticized the government over the abduction of the journalists, Yonas Amarae and Andulsemed Mohamed. 

These journalists were abducted last week in about two days of interval. While Yonas Amare was abducted from his residence in Koye Feche in Sheger City, Adulsemed was reportedly abducted near his work place in the 22 locality of Addis Ababa. 

What is known so far, based on a report from an Ethiopian reporter- an employer to Yonas Amare – is that he was abducted by security forces wearing masks in the evening. Building security were cited as eyewitnesses. 

The whereabouts of both journalists is unknown at the time of this writing and the Federal police did not disclose any information to the public. Family members have apparently been checking prison facilities and police divisions to see if their loved ones are arrested ; no information was available indicating their arrest. 

From the statements from opposition parties that have been released in the past few days and views activists have been expressing on social media, it is presumed Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s ruling prosperity party is behind their kidnapping. 

Notably, in April 2024, Bette Urgessa a prominent ethnic Oromo Nationalist politician was shot dead in Meki town by forces reportedly by security forces who wore a mafia style facemask. In March 2024, Reuters investigative report revealed that authorities in government structure have organized Kore Negegna squad for killings and kidnapping. 

__

Support Borkena  : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter)  @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.  

advertisment

2 COMMENTS

  1. First of all, I would like to congratulate our daughter/sister for having being selected to be the secretary of her party. I am always unwavering in my confidence I have for our women’s ability and qualifications to lead any party including the mantle to lead the entire country. This and other parties, fronts and groups do not have a plausible history being led by men. They all have failed their members and lost many of the cream puff of the crop of that country from 1970’s till now. Their men leaders love to exaggerate the capability of the party/front/group they were/are leading.

    I remember two young countrymen who I met when I came here in the 1970’s. They were well educated and I still do not have any doubt in their intellectual horsepower to run any giant multinational corporation. They told me they were going back home to duke it out with a well armed military regime. Then I asked them how they would defend themselves effectively. They told me that their party had a well trained and armed military wing capable of protecting them. Later on we discovered that their so-called mighty army was no more than a 12-man ragtag unit that was being used as cooks by Al-Toweel Isu and his front at some forsaken joint in the barrens hideouts, not for a week but for almost two years. He was holding them as hostages until their party put its John Hancock on the dotted line attesting Ethiopians was the colonizers. That would never have had happened if the leaders of the party were our women.

    I still remember those two young and gullible countrymen how they were amped up about the prowess of their party. They were slaughtered by the bloodthirsty Mengistu and there is nothing I can do to bring them back. I am sure our daughter/sister Mistre Selassie bint Tamrat knows and will never forget that. That was a total debacle meant for a good cause and should never be repeated. Then, their worst enemy was the military regime and these days are these bigots and connivers who are hell bent in ‘liberating this and that ethnic group even though the national question has been amicably addressed since 1995. May The Almighty Our Creator guide and protect you at all times!!!

    Btw, is this, ‘https://eprp.org/’ the link to the party of our daughter/sister? I want to make sure because I remember reading news of this party splitting into two groups. I just discovered the website today. I would appreciate it very much if someone verifies that for me.
    Peace y’all!!!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here