HomeEthiopian NewsEthiopia’s Journalists Association Says Abducting Journalists A “Dangerous Practice”, “Unacceptable” 

Ethiopia’s Journalists Association Says Abducting Journalists A “Dangerous Practice”, “Unacceptable” 

Ethiopian Journalists abducted
Journalist Abdulsemed Mohammed (left) and Journalist Yonas Amara (right) (Photo : Social Media)

Borkena

Toronto – Ethiopian Mass Media Professionals Association on Monday condemns the abduction of journalists  in the country. 

The Association released a statement in response to the abduction and disappearance of two journalists last week. 

Yonas Amare, a senior editor and journalist with the Ethiopian Reporter, and Abdulsemed Mohammed, another senior journalist who worked for Ahadu radio, were abducted last week. Their whereabouts are unknown at the time of this writing and family members have been in agony about it. 

Yonas was reportedly abducted from his residence in the Koye Feche area of Sheggar city which is under the Oromia regional state administration. The Ethiopian Reporter cited eye Witnesses, who happen to be security guards of the building, in its report this week as saying that he was abducted by individuals with masks. The Oromia region has a killing and kidnapping squad organized under a secretive body “Kore Kegegna,” as Reuters investigative report revealed in February 2024. 

Similarly Abdulsemed was abducted from his workplace area, also last week, by unidentified individuals who happen to be weakening face covering masks. 

The family has not heard about their whereabouts. The Oromia regional state, the Federal police or Addis Ababa police did not remark about what appears to be an orchestrated forced disappearance without a trace. 

In its statement, the Ethiopia’s Journalists Association called the abduction for journalists a “dangerous practice” and “unacceptable.” 

“In principle if journalists are involved in an offence in the course of their work, the Association believes that they should be held legally accountable. However, abducting journalists without due process of the law and not making them appear in court is unacceptable and a dangerous practice,” the Association Stated in its statement. 

Furthermore, it called on, apparently pointing to the government, for the abducted journalists to be freed. “If they are suspected of an issue, they should only be held accountable in accordance with the law and be freed from forced disappearance that could make them vulnerable to rights abuse.” 

In June this year, the Federal government proposed a legislation to the parliament granting law enforcement bodies to commit any crime with suspects except death. It got approval as the ruling prosperity party has over 95 percent of the seats in the parliament. The matter drew extensive criticism including from reputable human rights organizations like the Human Rights Watch, and was later repealed. 

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s Government has been cracking down on the press for several years now. Dozens of journalists are behind bars. 

Human Rights Organizations have also been getting the heat as the government made unending claims of security concerns including the capital Addis Ababa. Last month, Yared Hailemariam, the Executive Director of the Ethiopian Human Rights Defenders Center (EHRDC), stepped down amid increasing pressure on human rights organizations.

__

Support Borkena  : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter)  @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.  

advertisment

1 COMMENT

  1. Both of these two abductees being journalists and at the same time, I don’t think they were kidnapped by ordinary thugs for ransom. The kidnappings have all indications of government action. It has to be the federal or the regional government. If these two had said or written something about what is going on in Oromia, then it must be regional government and I won’t be surprised by its action. Otherwise, it would be the habitual authority. Let’s hope and pray that they are both still alive. Whoever did it, this is nothing but terrorism and extremely dangerous for the whole Ethiopia as a country because this is tantamount to anarchy, lawlessness. The ICC at The Hague should take a legal note about this.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here