HomeLatestEHRC says Deadly Clashes Between Government Forces, Fano in Amhara Cause High...

EHRC says Deadly Clashes Between Government Forces, Fano in Amhara Cause High Civilian Casualties

Ethiopian Human Rights Commission

Getahun Tsegaye
Staff Reporter 

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia – The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) has reported that a series of deadly clashes between government security forces and armed Fano groups in the Amhara region have resulted in a high number of casualties, including civilians.

In its annual report released today, the EHRC confirmed that the government forces carried out extrajudicial killings against civilians, accusing them of supporting or being affiliated with Fano insurgents by saying, “You support or hide them.”

Similarly, the report also indicated that Fano fighters, acting in retaliation, alleging the civilians of showing paths of the localities to the national defense and portraying them as “betraying their people”,  committed killings against civilians.

In the Awii Zone, Wanjela Kebele, on the night of June 12, 2024, the EHRC reported that government forces killed five people following a clash between them and Fano fighters.

On June 24, 2024, in Adet town, North Gojjam Zone, non-combatant civilians were killed in a clash between Fano and government forces. The EHRC reported that three Fano members, previously detained in a camp by government forces for over three months, were also executed.

On June 26, 2024, Fano members reportedly killed at least eight militia and local administration members in militia and riot control forces

The report further revealed that Fano members in Gonzer, Qwara District, abducted 23 civilians from Abtegahe Kebele and took them to Teodros town. Upon return, they reportedly executed several individuals, it added .

In Shola Meda, near Debre Sina, North Shewa Zone, on June 26, 2024, at least 15 people were killed during a confrontation between Fano and government forces, the statement said.

In North Wollo Zone, Guba Lafto District, on July 12, 2024, EHRC documented that seven civilians were killed by government firepower during conflict in Wudme Kebele.

On July 22, 2024, Fano members abducted 17 local residents from South Mecha District, North Gojjam Zone. By the following day, four were found executed, and the remaining were released after ransom payments.

In Enabse Sar Midir District, East Gojjam Zone, three people—one Fano member and his two brothers—were killed by government forces on July 26, 2024.

From August 12–13, 2024, clashes between Fano and government forces in North Mecha District, North Gojjam Zone, resulted in the killing of seven civilians by government troops, according to EHRC.

On August 20, 2024, in Bahir Dar, two people were killed and 10 others injured when government forces opened fire in Ketema Kebele 5, Bega Tera area.

On September 7, 2024, in Gondar City’s AzezoZeda Health Center area, government forces reportedly killed at least 11 people between 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m., following the killing of a security officer by unknown actors.

On September 16, 2024, in Debark, North Gondar, EHRC reported that at least 29 people were killed due to indiscriminate attacks and crossfire during a clash between Fano and government forces.

From September 16–17, 2024, in Gondar, a confrontation between the two sides led to the deaths of at least 10 civilians—including women and children. One hospitalized victim also died.

On September 18, 2024, Fano fighters in Sinan District, East Gojjam, abducted two secondary school teachers from their residence and executed them, while assaulting four others. EHRC linked the incident to the teachers’ participation in 2017 EC (2025 GC) education reforms.

On October 3, 2024, in Kimir Dingay, South Gondar, two family members were killed and two children seriously injured when a government military strike hit their house.

On October 6, 2024, in Quara District, West Gondar, EHRC confirmed that Fano fighters executed eight individuals.

On November 20, 2024, in Lemma Arbaitu Kebele, Gondar Zuria Dictrict, three government soldiers were killed following an ambush attack attributed to Fano fighters.

On December 12, 2024, in Genete-Maryam Kebele, Andabet District, South Gondar, five individuals were killed by government forces.

In connection, on March 11, 2025, in Werebabu district, South Wollo Zone, Fano fighters ambushed and killed three government officials: the District administrator, the criminal investigations head of the police office, and their driver, while en route from Bistima to Bokeks.

On March 17, 2025, in Quara Distirct, West Gondar, Fano fighters attempted to confiscate weapons from Yikaho Kebele residents, accusing them of siding with the national army. On March 20, 2025, they returned and killed six residents in a follow-up attack.

Also on March 20, 2025, in Merawi town, North Mecha District, Fano fighters entered the town between 12:00–1:00 p.m. and killed six civilians, including four teachers.

On April 6, 2025, in Alem Ber town, Fogera District, South Gondar, Fano fighters attacked and killed two Abay Bank security guards, and looted the bank. Attempted robberies also occurred at Ethiopia Commercial Bank and Tseday Bank branches.

On May 10, 2025, in Kuber Lomge Kebele, Chilga District, Central Gondar, Fano fighters killed two people, injured four, looted domestic animals, burned seven homes, and displaced 34 households.

Support  : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

To submit Press Release, send submission to info@borkena.com

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter)  @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.  

advertisment

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here