
By: Getahun Tsegaye
Staff Reporter
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia — During a press briefing held today, the U.S. Department of State’s new Senior Advisor for Africa, Massad Boulos, provided a readout of his recent April 2–9 trip to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda. His visit focused on supporting efforts to achieve durable peace in eastern DRC and exploring opportunities to expand U.S. private sector investment across the African continent.
Boulos addressed ongoing U.S. engagement in regional peace initiatives and reaffirmed Washington’s commitment to long-term economic partnerships. He emphasized that recent U.S. mineral supply chain agreements are not exclusive to the DRC but also include Angola, Zambia, and neighboring countries—part of broader efforts to diversify critical mineral sources and counter over-reliance on single markets. However, he did not disclose specific details of the agreements.
He commended the DRC’s relatively reliable infrastructure and confirmed that discussions were held with Congolese President Félix Tshisekedi’s administration on advancing key infrastructure projects, including railways, highways, and power systems. These developments, he said, aim to serve both Congolese national development and U.S. strategic interests.
Context: Ongoing Conflict in the DRC
The eastern region of the DRC has been plagued by decades of conflict, with over 120 armed groups active in the provinces of North Kivu, South Kivu, and Ituri. Among them, the M23 rebel group—believed to be supported by Rwanda, a claim Kigali denies—has regained prominence in recent years, seizing territory and displacing hundreds of thousands of civilians. Regional and international peace efforts have struggled to gain traction, despite the deployment of troops from the East African Community (EAC) and later the Southern African Development Community (SADC). Both missions have since withdrawn, raising concerns about a deepening security vacuum.
When asked about the U.S. position on the deteriorating security landscape in the region, Boulos called for the immediate withdrawal of Rwandan troops and M23 forces from occupied areas. “The M23 and other armed groups must lay down their arms. We strongly believe peace shall prevail not through force but through dialogue,” he said.
He also addressed the operational challenges faced by Alphamin, a U.S.-linked tin mining company in eastern DRC. The company suspended operations last month due to M23 encroachment in its concession area. Boulos urged for the withdrawal of the rebel forces to allow Alphamin to safely resume operations, underlining the importance of stability for foreign investment.
On the broader peace process, Boulos confirmed that negotiations between the DRC government and M23 have begun. “We hope the outcome will be positive for all stakeholders involved,” he said, while also commending the African Union (AU) for its mediation efforts. His sentiments were echoed by Corina Sanders, Deputy Assistant Secretary for African Affairs, who expressed optimism about the AU-led peace process.
In a broader strategic message, Boulos stressed that U.S. involvement in the region is not aimed at countering other powers. “We are in the DRC to fulfill our own goals and objectives, not to interfere with China or any other country,” he said.
__
Subscribe : https://borkena.com/subscribe-borkena/
Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena
Like borkena on Facebook
Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory Business Listing Toronto
Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter) @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. Subscribe to YouTube channel To share information or for submission, send e-mail to info@borkena.com