HomeNewsEthiopian Human Rights Commission Confirms Forced Conscription, Including Children, in Oromia

Ethiopian Human Rights Commission Confirms Forced Conscription, Including Children, in Oromia

Ethiopia _ Oromia _ forced conscription

Borkena

Toronto – The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) announced on Thursday that it has been investigating reports of forced conscription in Oromia, including the recruitment of underage children, in violation of national and international legal standards.

It has been several weeks since Ethiopian news outlets have been reporting about forced recruitment in many parts of Ethiopia. Borkena reported about it in October this year. 

According to the EHRC, the investigation, conducted between November 12 and November 29, revealed that some families were forced to pay bribes to secure the release of their children from forced recruitment.

The commission said it  visited recruitment centers in Adama, Bishoftu, Jimma, and Shashemene, interviewing families, recruits, local militia, and police officials at various levels of government.

Among the findings, the EHRC documented instances of forced conscription, including a 45-year-old single father of four who was compelled to join. The investigation also found cases of underage conscription, with children as young as 15 being forcibly taken from schools while still in uniform and transported to recruitment centers. In Jimma, children as young as 14 were reportedly targeted.

Additionally, individuals with mental health conditions were also taken by force to the recruitment centers. 

The EHRC noted that these practices violate Ethiopia’s constitution and international conventions the country has ratified. Families reported being coerced to pay tens of thousands of birr as bribes to secure the release of their children.

The EHRC said it engaged with government officials in the Oromia region, including the region’s Peace and Security Office head, who reportedly admitted to issues with the recruitment practices. According to the EHRC, officials stated that directives had been issued to address the problem.

Reports of forced recruitment are not limited to Oromia. Similar claims have surfaced in other regions, including Amhara, which has experienced prolonged conflict over the past year. The Ethiopian government has reportedly deployed over 40,000 troops, according to Fano rebels, in the latest round of “final” military operation in the region. However, there are credible indications that Abiy Ahmed’s government is unable to resolve the problem in the Amhara region by military means. Over 80 percent of the region is still under the control of Fano forces.  

The EHRC report , in Amharic, is available here.

__

Join our Telegram Channel : t.me/borkena

Like borkena on Facebook

Add your business to Ethiopian Business Listing / Ethiopian Business Directory  

Join the conversation. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter)  @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly.  Subscribe to YouTube channel To share information or for submission, send e-mail to info@borkena.com

advertisment

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here