Seattle man beaten by Oromo radical youth

Seattle man beaten as he walks by radical Oromo protesters

borkena
July 25, 2020

A video circulating on social media among Ethiopians purportedly shows Radical Oromo youth groups,who were protesting in support of  activists and politicians who are arrested in connection with the massacre of at least 181 people the Oromo region of Ethiopia, beating a Seattle man who does seem to have nothing to do with the issue they are protesting about.

borkena was unable to obtain details of the man who was beaten by at least five people in the city of Seattle this week.

Initially he seemed to have handled well the young man who started the fight but he was overpowered as multiples of as the crowds of the former gave a helping hand.

They took him down to the ground, kicked him and punched him. However, he sustained only minor injury.

“I am fine,” he said when an Ethiopian lady,who was mad with  what the Oromo radicals did to him, asked him if he was okay.

The victim seems to be a teenager or in his early 20’s.

Emerging reports in social media indicates that Seattle Police have made arrests in connection with the incident.

It i unclear if the man is interested in going after them to hold them legally accountable.

17 Responses to "Seattle man beaten by Oromo radical youth"

1. Alebachew   July 25, 2020 at 11:48 pm

The savagery of those, who knows nothing but violence are an impediment to any society, however the lawlessness of any sort and savagery imported from the Regional state of oromya ETHIOPIA to the United States of America does not go as far as it would in an unlucky, helpless ETHIOPIA, and therefore, those of you two legged straight-up walking animals should definitely know that, there will be no tolerance to your behavior, and serious consequences for your actions and criminal behaviors will be due warranted, that is to say, beating up people on the street of America is due payable accordingly by the law of the land,You will absolutely be rest assured that, you will be arrested and deported to your wilderness Oromya. Should you have any questions, please kindly contact Bekele Geriba or Jawar Binladen Mohammed.

Good day ! May GOD bless ETHIOPIA, AMERICA and the WORLD

2. Ittu Aba Farda   July 26, 2020 at 12:13 am

This is a testimony showing Jihadi Jane and Jihadi John in the act of terrorism. The ladies were donning what one of my most favorite North African leaders Habib Bourguiba used to call it ‘that Saudi odious attire’. Did everyone notice how one of those Jihadi Johns sought out the peaceful man and punched him with a Sunday bolo punch? Does the FBI know about this?
    I will leave you with a video to show you why Bourguiba was one of my favorite North Africans. I used to mark my calendar with the day he was scheduled to deliver a speech to his citizens and used to listen to him hugging my SW radio. Boy, did he have contempt for the Wahhabis and their hijabi attire. Just watch him in the video below.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yy13l1S656A

3. Ibrahim   July 26, 2020 at 3:57 am

So Oromo are not ethiopians you mean?

• Abeshaw   July 27, 2020 at 11:58 am

Ibrahim and Beza,

If they openly declare they’re not Ethiopian, then they simply are not.

That does not mean all Oromos are not Ethiopian. Those who want to work towards unity, democracy, and equality will move forward in creating the new identity of Ethiopia.

• Beza   July 27, 2020 at 5:25 pm

As much as I have felt this sentiment in the past few weeks I can’t help but feel this narrative is the same as the one they would support. That is to say, “If I don’t want to not be Ethiopian then I am not an Ethiopian” or ” I can be an Oromo without having to claim Ethiopia.” I reject that this notion because I believe that ‘Ethiopian’ is an identity which is all encompassing. It isn’t something you identify with or choose. It is something you are. It as though I could take off my blackness and say I am not black simply because I have had too many bad experiences with it and I would like to simply be Beza. I cannot. The question is does our country and its people have the ability to contend with forces that want to destroy us in a way that unifies and convinces them otherwise. It can’t be done in a day.

These people have had a lot of propoganda shot at them convincing them of the evils of a country they have never been to. I happen to believe that instead of waving flags like the counter-protesters are doing, the first move should be to openly discuss those points. What are the so-called-“injustices” they face? What is their evidence (other than cheap anecdotes by politicians) that these issues exist, or that they exist primarily to Oromos? We can do all of this without having to fly our flags or scream at their faces. We can do it without having to call lawyers and charge these people. Honestly what does that accomplish besides making uninformed Seattle-Americans afraid about the state of their country and the “terrorists” it harbors? I hate this movement more than anyone. I think they’re ignorant and irresponsible. I’ve lost sleep thinking about the churches that burned, the people hanging, the children killed in front of their parents. But I feel we have a responsibility to end it at its neck and that requires true engagement. Or are we just going to seclude and alienate and silence until some random enemy comes and correctly calculates that our unity is so fragile and so volatile that the death of a single person will be enough for it to go to shambles?

• Abeshaw   July 28, 2020 at 12:16 pm

I’m with you on many of the above points. At the end of the day, the status of an identity is what attracts anyone.

Black Americans are proud to call themselves American even though they’ve been through hell under the same flag. They understand (mainly unconsciously) that carrying an American identity has more status worldwide than many others. Even the protests they have nowadays are not to leave that identity but only for justice.

So I would say all democratic forces in Ethiopia who care about that identity also create a similar one which can stand unwavering in spite of all historical narratives.

• Dave   July 29, 2020 at 5:51 pm

Well if you say down down Ethiopia ,pro killing innocent peopel ,believe that the country should be dismantled and have a hatred for the flag you’re definitely not Ethiopian

4. Beza   July 26, 2020 at 2:07 pm

5. Beza   July 26, 2020 at 2:08 pm

Sorry but I disagree with the handling of this story. I am not pro-OLF and I not a supporter of the current Oromo movement. However I do not agree in the otherization of Oromo youth, who despite arguing for cessation should not actually be excised from their Ethiopianness. If I can stop being called Ethiopian simply because I am angry at Ethiopia then what is the point of such a feeble identity? Secondly, it is important to see that the video was not shown in its entirety (there is a point to be made about the white man’s either insulting or touching a girl on the Oromo side) and we will never know the absolute truth as neither the white man nor the Oromo youth gave their sides of the story about what happened thus this story is mainly speculation. Finally, it is important to understand how this sort of framework only plays into the discourse which the other side will (and have) use to their advantage. I have seen Oromo youth repost such stories and discussions by Ethiopian media and state very aptly that “this is the way they see us,” and “they are willing to prosecute and arrest people they say are their own people.” As an informed Ethiopian I do not think this is true, however if I read this story without background and heard their analysis, I too would believe in the purposeful seclusion and hatred of Oromo youth. Let us not fight in the framework of ethnic nationalists but seek to fight within our own framework of unity. What happened here were two groups of Ethiopians, on one hand supporters of Oromo liberation movement and the other proponents of Ethiopian unity were having a heated exchange when an unrelated white man appeared and for reasons unknown was beat down by Ethiopians of the Oromo liberation movement. This is the way to move forward.

6. Haddis Tadesse   July 26, 2020 at 5:08 pm

Let’s not jump into conclusion , all are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

7. Dave   July 26, 2020 at 5:15 pm

Well if you say down down Ethiopia and have a hatred for the flag you’re definitely not Ethiopian

8. Ittu Aba Farda   July 26, 2020 at 5:39 pm

Should I believe what I saw in the clip? Did I see one of the Jihadi Jane flipping the bird and using the ‘B’ word at the peaceful demonstrators? Will someone try to tell me this is a typical Oromo woman? If you do that, it would be a travesty of justice. This is run of the mill Gahba from the Wahhabi brothels in Riyadh or Dubai. A gahba born and bred unattended in the bazaars there and given a refuge at some joint in Seattle. Not an Oromo woman we all know. We may be low in illiteracy rate side but we are well bred cultured people as any Amhara, Tigray, Afar, Somali or any other common man/woman from that glorious country. I tell you what? Unless the FBI keeps a lid on such Jihadi Janes and Johns among us, they will be a menace not only to our Diaspora community but to the country itself. Today she has no moral restraints to flip the bird to someone she just don’t like and tomorrow she may be walking around strapping IED on her too much passed around waist. This is not just a simple incidence. That is how terrorism grows. First it manifests itself as a hate toward individuals/leaders and then it graduates into a hate toward everyone. FBI should take a note of this incidence and keep an eye on these hate mongers.

But the whole incidence and what I saw in the video just breaks my heart. I thought I will never live to see such shameful incidence, such hatred to another human being within our own community along ethnic lines. Congratulations to the Gebissas and Gabisas bigots!!! You have created perfect and well done Jihadi Janes and Jihadi Johns!!! But remember these Jihadis will not remember you as their role models during their terrorist acts. Your bigoted $$$ is grass for them. You have created your own demise. I am not lying to you. Just look at what friend of these Jihadis did in Arsi, Eastern Hararghe, Bale and some places in Central Oromia. You should feel very lucky for being here scavenging at your missionary canteens. You have been playing with active radium with your bare hands and it was just a matter of time before its cancerous effect eating you up from the inside. I had said this in October 2016 after the bigot professor posted an article on the Diaspora websites telling everyone what every Amhara was calling every Oromo like me. I wrote:
    This professor is pocking at an old and healing wound. It shows individuals like him are suffering from a serious bout of self doubt. Such affliction has reached fever pitch on him that it is becoming a complex. What is the perfect solution for such individuals? To go it all alone with no sight of those who were calling him such derogatory terms. To him and his gangs every Amhara brother and sister still defines him in such degrading terms. Grand and the only solution? Carve out Oromia and take it to Mars or some faraway places in the universe where such vile name calling will not be heard. He can’t keep Oromos safe from being called as such if Oromia stays at its current location because that rowdy Gojjame can still be heard calling Oromos all those pejorative names just by standing on the other side of the Nile River with a bull horn. Mind you that very Gojjame in the area has been marrying into Oromo families for centuries. I thought their last king’s name was Adal whose grandfather was an Oromo. He has to take Oromia to a different galaxy, right? What do you think folks? You see. That is what they use to gather support among the gullible Oromos here in the Diaspora. That is what they talk all day and all the time at their speakeasies. They preach nothing but hatred or something that create hatred towards innocent others. Just imagine this professor standing with a bull horn somewhere in Western Hararghe. Just imagine what will be the first thing coming out of his mouth. They have called you this and that. And you know what happened when such poison is thrown up without any restraints. In every society or a given ethnic group there will be considerable number of people who do not possess the sophistication to look through such diatribe. Just imagine the anger it foments!!! Just imagine.
    Well folks, there you have it!

9. Gideon   July 27, 2020 at 12:06 am

Haddis Tadesse, did you say “all are presumed innocent until proven guilty “ Didn’t you watch the video? I guess believing is on the eyes of the beholder

10. Tsigemariam   July 27, 2020 at 2:51 am

May there be peace

11. Obsaa   July 27, 2020 at 11:15 am

This online news is very biased. Even the title is far from truth. In the first pace, the protesters are not radical Oromos, they are just Oromos. Secondly, they protest not to support the killings but to denounce the main actor of the violence, which is the dictator government.

12. Sami   July 27, 2020 at 8:14 pm

@Beza : Where you are coming from is understandable and most Ethiopians used to think that way.

Your point about otherization, however, does make little or no sense at all. I assume you have heard about Ethiopians who lived all their lives in what is now called “Oromia region” were slaughtered. The body of a seventy plus years man in Arsi Negelle was savagely chopped into pieces. It all happened under the cover of “protest over the killing of Hachalu Hundessa.” Now who is “Othering”? The radical Oromos?

In all fairness, they do not have a tangible reason to be mad about Ethiopia. Even if they have, it is not right to collaborate with outside powers against Ethiopia and massacre Ethiopians in the region.

It happened not once. not twice. It happened several times. The world has to get the real image of this radical ethnic nationalists. if anything, the story here could have been written better to show the whole world their savageness. The writer should have used the recent massacre in Ethiopia as background information.

They have ethno-religious agenda- it is not about Oromoness.

13. Ittu Aba Farda   July 28, 2020 at 1:09 am

I join our dear friend Tsigemariam in pleading for peace. It is during fracas that we of Ethiopian heritage shine. It is when the quiet level heads among us come out and admonish those in the wrong and bring us all back to reason. What we are witnessing is no one should be proud of. Those who have seen more in their blessed time than the others have their calling now. The level heads from all sides should get together and show our glorious tradition of calming down tensions. This is a shame. First such loose cannons should be restrained on all sides. Level heads from all sides should come together and stand between these rowdy elements. If there are any that can not be restrained then let the law come after them. They have to act now.