Ethiopia rejects US position on GERD negotiation,issued a statement

Ethiopian Grand Renaissance Dam _ Ethiopia
Photo : EBC

borkena
February 29, 2020

A day after the US Secretary of United States Department Of The Treasury issued a statement after two days of negotiation between Egypt and Sudan regarding the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) in Washington DC in the absence of Ethiopia, the latter issued a statement saying that it is disappointed with the statement.

The full content of statement reads as follows :

Statement on the Negotiations on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam

29 February 2020

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Energy of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia noted with disappointment the Statement issued by the United States Department of Treasury on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) released on 28 February 2020, following a meeting held without Ethiopia’s participation. Ethiopia had notified Egypt, Sudan, and the US that it needed more time to deliberate on the process.

Ethiopia as the owner of the GERD will commence first filling of the GERD in parallel with the construction of the Dam in accordance with the principles of equitable and reasonable utilization and the causing of no significant harm as provided for under the Agreement on the Declaration of Principles (DoP).

Ethiopia does not accept the characterization that the negotiation on the Guidelines and Rules on the First Filling and Annual Operation of the GERD (Guidelines and Rules) is completed. The “text” reportedly initialed by the Arab Republic of Egypt in Washington D.C. is not the outcome of the negotiation or the technical and legal discussion of the three countries. Ethiopia made it clear that the Guidelines and Rules must be prepared by the three countries. The Countries are yet to address outstanding issues pertaining to the finalization of the Guidelines and Rules.

Ethiopia, with the full knowledge and agreement of Egypt and Sudan has addressed all dam safety related issues during the International Panel of Experts process. Egypt and the Sudan had expressed their appreciation under Principle 8 of the DOP and Ethiopia will continue to implement it in good faith.

Ethiopia is committed to continue its engagement with the Arab Republic of Egypt and the Republic of the Sudan to address the outstanding issues and finalize the Guidelines and Rules on the first filling and annual operation of the GERD.



Join the conversation. Like borkena on Facebook and get Ethiopian News updates regularly. As well, you may get Ethiopia News by following us on twitter @zborkena

5 Responses to "Ethiopia rejects US position on GERD negotiation,issued a statement"

  1. Ittu Aba Farda   February 29, 2020 at 2:54 pm

    This last paragraph validates what I had said previously that the old country’s decision not sit in the meeting planned for the last 3 days does not mean it has decided to disengage itself from all future discussions with the two countries. The last paragraph here goes:

    ‘ Ethiopia is committed to continue its engagement with the Arab Republic of Egypt and the Republic of the Sudan to address the outstanding issues and finalize the Guidelines and Rules on the first filling and annual operation of the GERD.’

    Atta-boy!!!! I know that patriotic brother of ours H.E. Seleshi bin Bekele will not let us down. The spirit of those fire spitting heroes who made a glowing history on the battlefield of Adwa is in him and his colleagues!!! Those patriots had told that weasel who sneaked in their hood ‘Not an inch! Not even!!! Brother Seleshi is telling the halawa drunk despot ‘Not even a glance on my dam and get lost!!!!’ Atta-boy!!! Go get’em tiger!!!!

    Reply
  2. tekle eka   February 29, 2020 at 6:29 pm

    It was in 1888 our dear forefathers and mothers tookup their spear and shield to defend their mother country from invading imperialist Italy. They defeated imperialism, plus the notion that black race is inferior to white, and then after history has witnessed not the vice versa but equal. After exactly 132 years, we are once again witnessing the same old notion and this time American imperialism. Let me assure you they will fail and the world once again witness that the same old notion is fatally wrong!!
    To the U.S., and president Donald Trump, you will make America Great Again (MAGA), How about making Ethiopia great again (MEGA). Is MAGA) > (MEGA)?. We fight you with the same spear arrow. History is on our side, the price you will pay huge!!. We never forget your insult “African countries are ***hles”. Mr. President you are untamed beast with sexy looking hair at 73, leading the most technologically advanced nation on earth. This is bizare!!!.
    Thank you!!!

    Reply
  3. Mesfin Retta   March 1, 2020 at 11:48 pm

    In Ethiopia not one honest foreign relations expert survived Meles Zenawi’s time serving their country. The consequences of the actions Meles Zenawi took in his first 10 years in power is something the current “leaders” should carefully examine to base their reform policies if any tangible result is expected from their reform.

    Reply
  4. Hailemariam   March 2, 2020 at 7:34 am

    One billion dollars worth emergency foodaid is urgently needed for Ethiopians mostly for those who are residing in Oromia region since the Oromia regional government of Ethiopia has completely failed to properly protect the citizens from the locust invasion which was not disclosed publicly to protect the images of ODP, the extent of the locust disaster had been undermined by the authorities in Oromia region which is known to be plagued by conflicts from Ambo to Wollega which now is said to be in a brink of starvation feared to cause migrations to major cities such as Hawassa and Finfine in search of food.

    If the aid is not gotten in time from foreign donors the only choice left is said to be borrowing from international financial institutions such as World Bank and IMF in a form of loan by securing the development projects that are already underway.

    Reply
  5. Ittu Aba Farda   March 3, 2020 at 6:26 pm

    I have been reading various comments about this interrupted discussion on the dam on this and other websites also on some papers in the Middle East. The opinions vary and are so many. Some think the decision by the Mnuchin to change his role from an invited observer to a decision maker is fueled by his desire to win the support of Egypt for the new peace treaty proposal by the son-in-law of the president. Such opinions can be just guessing. If that is true then this public official has a serious problem. He is a public servant who took an oath of office to serve the USA and USA alone, not Egypt or anyone else. But that is only contemplation by those who think so and they must be very careful about that because that is what those Anti-Semi groups are accusing folks like him.

    In any case, the old country has informed him that it is disassociating itself from this particular discussion. In my opinion, there should not have been any negotiating but constructive engagement and discussions. So, what now? What will this ‘new sheriff in town’ do about it? Hold the bag on the old country? That will not be fair and is nothing but a downright unfair foreclosure. It shows his want of expertise in diplomatic affairs. In my opinion such task should have been assigned to the State Department. You just can’t boss around a nation of very proud and friendly nation whose citizens have been pitching the last penny they have toward the construction of the dam.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.