Tuesday, January 18, 2022
HomeEthiopian NewsEthiopian government criticized over rights abuse of detained journalists

Ethiopian government criticized over rights abuse of detained journalists

 

Ethiopian authorities did not disclose the whereabouts of Tamrat Negera – a prominent media personality 

Ethiopia government _ journalists

borkena

- Advertisement -

The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission on Wednesday criticised the Ethiopian government over rights abuse of detained journalists. 

The statement released by the commission said two of the detained journalists, Tamrat Negera and Kibrom Worku, were denied visitation rights. The Ethiopian government has arrested two other journalists – Eyasped Tesfaye and Meaza Mohammed – for several weeks now. 

The families of Tamrat Negera do now know his whereabouts since he was on Friday last week taken from his home by security forces. Some activists are even treating the case rather as abduction by government security forces. 

“EHRC therefore urges for the immediate disclosure of the whereabouts of both detainees to their families and legal counsel and to guarantee their visitation rights,” said the statement.

Read the full statement from the commission below : 

Detention of media personnel

The Commission also reiterates that the relevant authorities should closely monitor that the state of emergency proclamation is implemented in a manner that strictly adheres to human rights principles.

The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is monitoring the situation of media personnel Kibrom Worku, Tamrat Negera, Meaza Mohammed and Eyasped Tesfaye who are currently in detention. While the Commission is in discussion with relevant authorities on their situation, it is gravely concerned that the whereabouts and the current situation of Tamrat Negera and Kibrom Worku have not been disclosed to their families and legal counsel as of the time of release of this statement – which constitutes a violation of their visitation right. Tamrat Negera was detained on December 10, 2021 and Kibrom Worku is in detention since October 26, 2021 despite a court order on November 18, 2021 granting him bail and since which date his family and legal counsel have lost contact with him. Visitation rights should be respected and guaranteed even under a state of emergency.

EHRC therefore urges for the immediate disclosure of the whereabouts of both detainees to their families and legal counsel and to guarantee their visitation rights. The Commission also reiterates that the relevant authorities should closely monitor that the state of emergency proclamation is implemented in a manner that strictly adheres to human rights principles.
_
Join the conversation. Follow us on Twitter @zborkena to get the latest Ethiopian News updates regularly. Like borkena on Facebook as well. To share information or for submission, send e-mail to info@borkena.com

advertisment

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here