Ethiopia condemns xenophobic attacks, looting in South Africa

Ethiopia is joining other African countries in condemning Xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

Ethiopia _ South Africa _ xenophobia - Xenophobic attacks
Unverified image South Africa’s MTN mast after attack in Nigeria. Source : South Africa

borkena
September 4, 2019

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ethiopia issued a statement on Wednesday condemning what it called “heinous act of violence and looting of properties perpetrated against foreigners,” including Ethiopians.

While the ministry said that it is encouraged by the South African President Cyril Ramaphosa statement denouncing the violence, it has called on South African authorities to take “robust” measures to stop the violence and ensure the safety and security of citizens.

The Ministry also said that it is working with members of the Ethiopian Community in Pretoria and South African authorities to address the situation.

There are no reports of Ethiopian casualties related to the latest xenophobic attack so far. However, stores and shops owned by Ethiopians have been looted.

Other African countries are responding to the situation in South Africa.  Nigeria is vehemently condemning the latest string of attack.

The West African country pulled out of South Africa Summit of World Economic Forum, as per the report by Aljazeera.  In that the president of Rwanda, Paul Kagame, and Malawi’s president, Peter Mutharika, pulled out too, according to Aljazeera report but they did not give a reason as to why they did so.

Ethiopian President, Sahlework Zewde is taking part in the event and some Ethiopians living do not seem to be happy that she is not withdrawing, based on citizen report on social media.

As well, Nigeria has recalled its ambassador to South Africa in protest of attacks against citizens in the country. 

The South African attack is also generating a sort of in-kind reactions in some African countries.

Sky news reported on Wednesday that South African owned businesses in Nigeria and Zambia are attacked and looted in what seems to be a retaliatory action to the attacks in Johannesburg.

Reports on social media say that Nigerians have burned down the South African company MTN mast which is said to be worth millions of dollars.

Xenophobic attacks has become a recurring problem in South Africa. Africans from other African countries are usually targets of such attacks.



Join the conversation. Like borkena on Facebook and get Ethiopian News updates regularly. As well, you may get Ethiopia News by following us on twitter @zborkena

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.