NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — The European Union Naval Force and the African Union on Sunday both condemned an attack the government said involved two Somali suicide bombers in the tiny East African nation of Djibouti that is reported to have killed three people.
The attack occurred Saturday night when a blast detonated in a busy restaurant frequented by international soldiers. The port city of Djibouti is used as a base by several militaries including the U.S., which has its only African permanent base there.
Spanish officials earlier said this was a grenade attack. German officials said there was a blast but did not say what caused it. Djibouti’s Interior Ministry said “early indications of the investigations show that the attackers were two suicide bombers of Somali origin; a man and a veiled woman.”
The Djiboutian news agency ADI said three people died and 15 were wounded. The agency quoted the Interior Ministry as saying that the attack was carried out by the two Somali suicide bombers.
The British government on Sunday said the Saturday explosion had resulted “in a number of fatalities and multiple serious casualties including western nationals.” Britain recommended “extreme caution and vigilance” if travelling to Djibouti.
Djibouti contributes troops to the African Union military force fighting militants in Somalia. Al-Shabab fighters have previously carried out attacks in Uganda and Kenya, which also contribute troops. Ethiopian officials believe Somali militants also tried and failed to carry out an attack in Addis Ababa, the capital.
Spain’s Defense Ministry said three of its military personnel were wounded. Germany’s foreign ministry says three Germans were injured. The ministry said in a statement Sunday that the three are civilian members of the European Union’s anti-piracy mission EUCAP NESTOR.
For more, please click here